What's new

Wind Turbines and A Sunset

jmtonkin

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
May 6, 2011
Messages
446
Reaction score
81
Location
Minnesota, South Dakota (for school)
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Every time I drive by these wind turbines, I tell myself that I want to stop and take pictures of them. I never have, partially because I'm in a hurry, but mostly because I felt that there needed to be something more exciting in the pictures. I didn't want just a wind turbine against a blue sky in a corn field, because I felt that would be lacking interest. Well, my opportunity came a few days ago! I was driving home on a some what cloudy evening, and the sun was just peaking out of the clouds and, well, I just felt compelled to stop. The following is the resulting image:

9740340808_2ce20c158a_k.jpg
 
Like you and likely half the shooting population on here has stopped at least once to shoot Wind Turbines. On the surface they look pretty neat and to be fair, I've seen some pretty dramatic shots of these mechanical monstrosities, but when I looked at yours, I didn't see anything particularly dramatic in your treatment but I loved that sky and wondered if you used the sky to emphasize the shot and in a way that provided a juxtaposition to the values of both wind and solar energies, perhaps there might be more to the shot than first met my eye. As with any edit, the vision is going to be different, though not necessarily better. I also made a slight crop to push the emphasis toward the larger turbine (and in doing so, I may have added a bit of haloing to the two foremost turbines -I should have fixed, but didn't).

$9739402419_1c91231766_o.webp
 
I like your crop, but I'm not sold on the contrast boost (or whatever it was). I love the concept, but it was maybe too much for me. I'll mess around with it later tonight.

Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
 
Were you going for the wind turbines to be silhouettes?
 
My versions...



 
That one with the moon added in is pretty freakin' sweet.
 
I like that edit ^^^ much better than the previous b&w conversion. The moon and vignetting looked too fake for my tastes.
 
I liked the BW conversion, but I agree that the moon was too much for me. I liked it, but it wasn't what I was going for with this shot.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
 
I didn't mention, but I do like the original. I like your B&W more, but the color one has some eerie qualities to it too. If a photo can evoke feelings, then to me, it's done what it should.
 
Same here. I liked the original, and I really like your version of the b&w conversion. This color edit is also very good - is this the same one that ceeboy did up there or your own? The colors are bumped enough to make the picture a bit more dramatic than the original but subtle enough that it still looks organic.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom