Windows 8 Photos

Gerwaeld

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm new here and with a weird question so ... hi everyone.

Here is the thing : i'm using Photoshop, Lightroom and Camera Raw to work on my pictures on a Windows 8.1 laptop. I shoot with a Canon 5D Mark II.

To preview my pictures in folders I use Windows 8 Photos default app which reads the .jpg and even create a preview of my .CR2 files if you zoom in. Pretty usefull.

What's really weird and frustrating is that in most cases i find these .jpg and RAWs previews with Photos way better than when treated in any other software like Photoshop or Lightroom does. And its way closer to what ive got in the back screen of my 5D when I shoot.

To say it differently, i spend my time trying to reproduce the result of Photos in other softwares, which is a pain in the ass. I don't know what algorithm this app uses but its really frustrating to see the result you want and not be able to export it (cause Photos only displays). I tried to do a LUT so i can get as close as possible as i see but it doesn't work. Does it come from my laptop color management that acts differently just for this app ?

I tried to screenshot to show you but if i paste it (in Photoshop for example) the result is still different.
Tell me if i'm crazy please.

Thanks ;)

Hi there,

I'm new here and with a weird question so ... hi everyone.

Here is the thing : i'm using Photoshop, Lightroom and Camera Raw to work on my pictures on a Windows 8.1 laptop. I shoot with a Canon 5D Mark II.

To preview my pictures in folders I use Windows 8 Photos default app which reads the .jpg and even create a preview of my .CR2 files if you zoom in. Pretty usefull.

What's really weird and frustrating is that in most cases i find these .jpg and RAWs previews with Photos way better than when treated in any other software like Photoshop or Lightroom does. And its way closer to what ive got in the back screen of my 5D when I shoot.

To say it differently, i spend my time trying to reproduce the result of Photos in other softwares, which is a pain in the ass. I don't know what algorithm this app uses but its really frustrating to see the result you want and not be able to export it (cause Photos only displays). I tried to do a LUT so i can get as close as possible as i see but it doesn't work. Does it come from my laptop color management that acts differently just for this app ?

I tried to screenshot to show you but if i paste it (in Photoshop for example) the result is still different.
Tell me if i'm crazy please.

Thanks ;)

How is your display calibrated?

Joe

EDIT: What laptop?

Most reactions

Back