Windows 8: User's Opinions

I hear that. I'd like to know what they mean by Microsoft Office is losing relevance. Google Docs is no alternative in my opinion. In order for Google Docs to be useful for me, I have to have a connection to the internet. What if I don't have that connection available? I'm no silver-spoon-chewing chap here. If I can pay for electricity though, I still get to write that award-winning novel (or at least I would hope to). I wouldn't worry too much though. There will be enough complaints by people to make Microsoft re-think its stance. They should not be trying to compete with Apple but to offer an alternative. We don't need another Apple, didn't Microsoft realize that? We have Apple already, let them be Apple, let Microsoft be Windows and let Linux be for code tweakers. Assimilation makes everything muddled not bright and vibrant. I like Windows. It works for what I need. I like Apple, it also works for what I need and I like Linux because it allows me to do what the others don't. But like I said, Windows8 is the fastest Windows yet. At least they got that right.

I dislike Windows 8. It's like Windows has lost what made it so great. It used to be freaking utilitarian. Looking sexy wasn't its schtick.

But now they're trying to win over the college crowd or something? I don't get it. Who is Windows 8 even for?

Even as much as I hate Win 8 though, I do have to roll my eyes at the "Apple is totally destroying Windows" comments. Windows is already experiencing lock-in. There are too many servers, businesses, and schools running Windows software and hardware, and it's much cheaper to just stick with Windows than to restructure the whole system by switching to Apple. I have a feeling that in the PC arena Windows will be king for a while to come while Apple will probably stay in the lead in the mobile realm.

Apple became mainstream just a little bit too late with their PCs to really catch up any time soon, I believe, while Windows is like that old out-of-touch uncle who's trying to keep up but is having some real trouble relating.
And yes, I use PC to describe both systems...because both systems are personal computers.

Lastly, as much as Windows 8 sucks, does anybody else think that the new Macbook Pro sucks just as hard for not having an internal disc drive? Dumb decisions aren't just reserved for Microsoft.

You guys may want to compare market share trend and stock performance of the two companies and see which direction each is headed
bigthumb.gif

Market fluctuations are the devil's playground and the future is uncertain. If Microsoft has any sense, they'll listen to the complaints and see that some of their actions have been pretty foolish as of late. I'll take Slackware, OpenOffice and other GNU software as the bet for the future though.

Last edited:
STIC said:
As someone who began using computers around the time of the System80, and has seen a lot of progress and innovation, i think i can say (relitively confidently, but expecting to be roasted anyway) that the progress stopped at XP!

I have used Vista...just long enough to wipe it and replace with XP, and i have also used Win7...also, just long enough to delete it and install XP...

Now, i'm NOT going to say Vista or Win7 were inferior to, or worse than XP for everyone, or even a majority, but for me, they were a slap in the face...

From what i know of Win8, and mostly what i have seen and heard form users, Win8 isn't a slap in the face...

...it's a poke in the eye, a kick in the nuts, a K.O. punch and, while you are laying there unconscious, Microsoft had anal sex with you and stole your wallet...

Seriously, you'd have to be the retarded offspring of two retarded cousins to even THINK about using it...:wink:

So...like...you're using software that's almost ten years old as well I assume? Lol

Kidding...sort of...

But Windows 7 to me was just a fancier XP with more compatibility with recent products. How was it worse?

2WheelPhoto said:
You guys may want to compare market share trend and stock performance of the two companies and see which direction each is headed

If predictions were that easy then we'd all be millionaires my friend.

Hey guys, Sony is totally going to control the market next year. Just look at the speculative numbers.

Last edited:

Last edited:

Last edited:
They should not be trying to compete with Apple but to offer an alternative. We don't need another Apple, didn't Microsoft realize that?

So RIGHT!

For a Giant company that exists because it's an alternative to the competition to redesign their products to look, feel and behave like the competition's is mind numbingly short sighted and moronic...

Customers/users buy PC because they don't buy MAC (let's be honest here, unless you like in a cave, you use a computer)...

Apple (the competition) already have the MAC market sown up; why the fuk would you try to produce a MAC clone and compete with the competition on a product they already make when there are MILLIONS of your customers out there who already voted against the MAC by continuing to buy PC's...?

Trust me on this...Win9 is being super fast tracked through Microsoft right now...and, although it may still be a little metrosexual, i bet it'll give you the option to stay straight...

Windows wasn't trying to copy Apple with Windows 8. They simply wanted to offer something different then the usual Windows platform/Apple OS. Yeah some people will like it, while others won't. It's called taking a risk! That's what business is all about; taking risks. I don't know about you, but I don't think Windows 8 is ANYTHING like the Apple OS, and I don't know why some of you are saying they are "trying to be another Mac." Of course they are going to compete with MAC! Duh! It is and will always be a competitor! (Unless of course Bill Gates buys Apple out, or visa versa. Which CAN'T HAPPEN) Don't forget it's Bill Gates who helped Steve Jobs create the company by giving him $ to start the company! He needed the competition so as to not create a monopoly!

ziggy84 said:
Windows wasn't trying to copy Apple with Windows 8. They simply wanted to offer something different then the usual Windows platform/Apple OS. Yeah some people will like it, while others won't. It's called taking a risk! That's what business is all about; taking risks. I don't know about you, but I don't think Windows 8 is ANYTHING like the Apple OS, and I don't know why some of you are saying they are "trying to be another Mac." Of course they are going to compete with MAC! Duh! It is and will always be a competitor! (Unless of course Bill Gates buys Apple out, or visa versa. Which CAN'T HAPPEN) Don't forget it's Bill Gates who helped Steve Jobs create the company by giving him $ to start the company! He needed the competition so as to not create a monopoly!

Itemized tiles and icons instead of words.

Yes, Windows 8 is so different from iOS. There is almost. I similarities between the two at all.

Microsoft is afraid of losing relevance with the younger, hip crowd. Everything is being minimized and streamlined so why not jump on the bandwagon and ride it out.

Windows 8 is closer to iOS than it is to any other Windows yet I'm sorry to say.

Also; where are you getting your historical reasoning from? I would really like to see the source, considering that giving a competitor money just so you might not create a monopoly is the DUMBEST business move I have ever hear of.

I do really want to see your source on this.

Last edited:
STIC said:
I beg to differ. While i don't like the Apple OS, or the thinking behind it, I can't see Microsoft staying competitive with Apple when they produce garbage like this...

Seriously, what the fuk happened in those meetings for ANYONE to OK this?

The thing is that Window is still the premiere office application and server OS.

Plus you can buy a VERY high end Windows machine for the same amount as the cheapest Apple MacBook.

I thin that Microsoft is in the "Who gives a damn, we're rich!" stage kind of like Canon is.

Why innovate when you already have so much of the market under lock. :/

ziggy84 said:

Itemized tiles and icons instead of words.

Yes, Windows 8 is so different from iOS. There is almost. I similarities between the two at all.

Microsoft is afraid of losing relevance with the younger, hip crowd. Everything is being minimized and streamlined so why not jump on the bandwagon and ride it out.

Windows 8 is closer to iOS than it is to any other Windows yet I'm sorry to say.

Also; where are you getting your historical reasoning from? I would really like to see the source, considering that giving a competitor money just so you might not create a monopoly is the DUMBEST business move I have ever hear of.

I do really want to see your source on this.

Well now that you bring up the iOS then that's a different story. I was speaking on the OS on the Macbooks; I don't own a Iphone or an Ipad so I can't speak on the iOS. If that's the case, then every company out there making tablets are guilty of "copying Apple." No one will close the gap on Apple when it comes to the mobile products, but Microsoft still owns the PC market.

Gates invested $150 million dollars into Apple 90 days from bankruptcy in 1997. Without his $, there would be no MacBooks, Ipad, Iphones etc!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back