Windows 8: User's Opinions

Windows wasn't trying to copy Apple with Windows 8. They simply wanted to offer something different then the usual Windows platform/Apple OS.

Unfortunately, this equates (in the real world) to something different to what people want, need, like and can use...

Yeah some people will like it, while others won't. It's called taking a risk! That's what business is all about; taking risks.

No...right there...

Business is NOT about taking risks; it's about minimising risks and maximising profit!

I don't know about you, but I don't think Windows 8 is ANYTHING like the Apple OS, and I don't know why some of you are saying they are "trying to be another Mac."

Can't you read between the lines? I'm NOT saying Win8 IS Apple OS, i'm saying it has been designed to function LIKE one...in the same manner, with a view to a similar user interface and experience...

Of course they are going to compete with MAC! Duh!

Not very well if most reviews can be believed...DUH!

It is and will always be a competitor! (Unless of course Bill Gates buys Apple out, or visa versa. Which CAN'T HAPPEN) Don't forget it's Bill Gates who helped Steve Jobs create the company by giving him $ to start the company! He needed the competition so as to not create a monopoly!

I beg to differ. While i don't like the Apple OS, or the thinking behind it, I can't see Microsoft staying competitive with Apple when they produce garbage like this...

Seriously, what the fuk happened in those meetings for ANYONE to OK this?

While your comment of minimizing risk is of course in the business model, you CAN'T minimize risk WITHOUT FIRST TAKING CHANCES! Entrepreneurs, are by nature, higher risk takers then the average joe on the street. Even after your model is created you still encounter OTHER RISKS that need to be taken; for Microsoft that RISK was Windows 8! They are trying to better compete with Apple in the mobile market, just like everyone else! DUH! Again, not many will like it, ( I for one, am not a fan) some will.

STIC said:
From what i know of Win8, and mostly what i have seen and heard form users, Win8 isn't a slap in the face...

So.... You haven't used Windows 8 yet. Got it.

Another thing I've loved about Win 7 & 8 is the much upgraded ability over XP regarding networking and hardware compatibilities.. I have had to do much less tinkering to get my printer and other things around the house all connected to share media. There was ALWAYS an issue with XP even trying to get media shared across Machines all running XP. It just works with 7 & 8. Three of my machines are running 7 and my desktop is running 8. All see each other and play nice. I have not tried to get my PS3s connected up but they do see them as "media servers" so eventually ill get around to trying to get then to play together.

Last edited:
STIC said:
From what i know of Win8, and mostly what i have seen and heard form users, Win8 isn't a slap in the face...

So.... You haven't used Windows 8 yet. Got it.

Another thing I've loved about Win 7 & 8 is the much upgraded ability over XP regarding networking and hardware compatibilities.. I have had to do much less tinkering to get my printer and other things around the house all connected to share media. There was ALWAYS an issue with XP even trying to get media shared across Machines all running XP. It just works with 7 & 8. Three of my machines are running 7 and my desktop is running 8. All see each other and play nice. I have not tried to get my PS3s connected up but they do see them as "media servers" so eventually ill get around to trying to get then to play together.

Nice. Is the desktop touch screen? I don't have a touch screen computer so I'm not in a hurry to upgrade just yet. Maybe a year or two down the road, IF the OS grows on me. Not a big fan of it right now.

No, no touch screen. I dual wield two Dell U2412M IPS panels. Once I'm back in the desktop it really isn't much different than 7. I usually open up metro Skype, snap it to the 2nd monitor right side column, then go to the desktop and continue business as usual.

I'd want it for the picture pasword feature. *nods*

Guys...get over it..whether its microsoft or apple,they are both robbers,they are always buying off(read-stealing)** things from small players and then marketing them in their own name ....it has been this way since the computer business started... and the most popular thing in the windows OS is counterintuitive.. the taskbar...yes,the taskbar..i mean...just look at it...you have to go to start to shut down the system..windows had tried to fix that blunder....I will not give you the details or you will start calling me geek.... :)..it will be enough for you to know that I am pretty much into the computer stuff ..and I can assure you that the population who make the most out of computers, the programmers...the hackers..have always laid their faith in the linux OS... it doesnt technically fulfill the unix standards but it is based on unix nonetheless..The same platform macOS is built upon...and linux boxes are faster than most of macOS systems if used properly..atleast they are way better than the windows machines... and for all apple fanboys...Apple is a big thug...a goon.. not in the way picasso was(allegedly)..but the way al pacino was...

Guys...get over it..whether its microsoft or apple,they are both robbers,they are always buying off(read-stealing)** things from small players and then marketing them in their own name ....it has been this way since the computer business started... and the most popular thing in the windows OS is counterintuitive.. the taskbar...yes,the taskbar..i mean...just look at it...you have to go to start to shut down the system..windows had tried to fix that blunder....I will not give you the details or you will start calling me geek.... :)..it will be enough for you to know that I am pretty much into the computer stuff ..and I can assure you that the population who make the most out of computers, the programmers...the hackers..have always laid their faith in the linux OS... it doesnt technically fulfill the unix standards but it is based on unix nonetheless..The same platform macOS is built upon...and linux boxes are faster than most of macOS systems if used properly..atleast they are way better than the windows machines... and for all apple fanboys...Apple is a big thug...a goon.. not in the way picasso was(allegedly)..but the way al pacino was...

I agree with you on stealing the little guys stuff. It's happened before, it'll happen again. I.E. Nikola Tesla and the AC system. Edison stole and took credit for it! History repeats itself!

I agree with you on stealing the little guys stuff. It's happened before, it'll happen again. I.E. Nikola Tesla and the AC system. Edison stole and took credit for it! History repeats itself!

Yes...steve jobs was the new Edison...

Edison didn't steal alternating current!! Westinghouse was responsible for it's implementation, and Edison fought it with a smear campaign - electrocuting elephants and what not.

Disagreements over DC current is why Tesla left Edison and contracted with Westinghouse in the first place. Edison saw electricity in a pretty limited way. As far as electricity goes, Edison's impact is pretty limited in today's world.

Edison didn't steal alternating current!! Westinghouse was responsible for it's implementation, and Edison fought it with a smear campaign - electrocuting elephants and what not.

Disagreements over DC current is why Tesla left Edison and contracted with Westinghouse in the first place. Edison saw electricity in a pretty limited way. As far as electricity goes, Edison's impact is pretty limited in today's world.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean he outright stole it. What I meant is in the history books, especially school, you never hear of the name Nikola Tesla. I didn't know about him through my grade schooling. The only person mentioned for discovering electricity is Edison. Am I right? He also took credit for the light bulb, which he had nothing to do with. He basically bought Heinrich Goebel's patent AFTER he died. Goebel actually tried to sell the patent to Edison, but TE said there was no practical use in it...You can also read up on Ediswan United Company, and what he did with that as well.

Wait, what??? Edison discovered electricity??? Edison took credit for the lightbulb??? Here I was all this time thinking he found a better filament than carbon by using tungsten, didn't realize he invented the dang thing. But what do I know? Wow, learn something new everyday *slaps forehead Next thing is you'll tell me the match was invented before the lighter or something even crazier.

Wait, what??? Edison discovered electricity??? Edison took credit for the lightbulb??? Here I was all this time thinking he found a better filament than carbon by using tungsten, didn't realize he invented the dang thing. But what do I know? Wow, learn something new everyday *slaps forehead Next thing is you'll tell me the match was invented before the lighter or something even crazier.

22 people BEFORE Edison pioneered the light bulb. He just marketed and SOLD it - Hense - He took the credit!

I was being facetious (fa-silly-ish) ziggy. Where did Edison claim to have taken credit for the invention of the lightbulb?

Ahhh..my apologies Drex as I did not catch on to your humor.

Well he does have somewher over 2,000 patients to his name; although, some of the items he patented (light bulb among a few others) didn't come from his ideas. He was simply an opportunist. When he bought out Joseph Swan of Ediswan United, he strickened Swan from the records, leaving Edison as the sole inventor.

Most reactions

Back