What's new

Windows and Door

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
6,593
Reaction score
3,719
Location
Ontario
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A series of windows from an abandoned factory in a small town near by.
Would love to hear your thoughts!
Thanks for taking a look :)


























 
Last edited:
Nice selection of the most interesting doors and windows in town :) The third image is whispering that it wants to be converted into B&W and I agree with her – I think a conversion would look great (as long as you're able to darken all the bricks so the window "decorations" stand out).
 
Thanks Federico :) This place is just yummy! I will give the conversion a shot, I think you may be right ;)
 
Last edited:
The first strikes me as having the most promise, although I agree with Federico about trying bw on the last. The first is a little low-key for my taste, and I usually like my images dark. I would try picking up the part of the curve where the light paint on left "window" is. This probably would lighten some of the lighter bricks a bit too. I wouldn't go too far, but just enough to lighten a couple of areas just a little for more contrast. The darker areas are dark and rich in color and don't need any more direct help.

While you're at it, there appears to be a little pincushion distortion, which you probably could address in processing - it's a little distracting as is.
 
I agree with Ken on this one.

You definitely have an interesting subject. I like #1 the most followed by #3 and #2. As Ken said I would like to see #1 a little darker & grungier.

Nice work Pixel!
 
Thanks Ken and Demers :)
Great suggestion, I agree it is a smidge dark/muddy I'm still getting used to being able to edit light, med, and dark and especially remembering that I can isolate one from the rest. I will play with 1 and see what we come up with :)
 
Ok I gave #1 a shot, I like it better, the white and blue looks way more accurate now.

 
Last edited:
Oops, forgot about the distortion you mentioned, I don't see it but I also don't know what it is lol so heading to google ;)
 
I like #3, then #1 and #2 .... The second is too centered
The colors in third is awesome

:D
 
Oops, forgot about the distortion you mentioned, I don't see it but I also don't know what it is lol so heading to google ;)

Look at the line of bricks at the top, which bows inward in the middle. That's pincushion distortion (the opposite is barrel). It happens on the sides as well, but it's hard to tell here.

I like the edit. It also brought out some more contrast in the panel on the right.
 
Thanks Ken :)
Ok I can see that at the top now, I will give fixing it a shot :)

Here is a shot at the B&W conversion....I could play with this forever and likely will play more but I tend to do too much the more I play.


 
Here is a shot at the B&W conversion
Did you by any chance start the conversion using your final colour file? I'm asking because the B&W looks a tad flat due to lacking whites (which could be explained by the colour version looking a bit warm, which might have made the whites disappear.) That being said, and on second look, this might not be an image that lends itself to be easily converted into a successful B&W, as it has lots of reds and yellows but no blues or greens. I tried a conversion myself using your colour file and failed badly, twice :)
 
Yes I did use the final colour file, I agree it's lacking but I still wonder if it is in there. Often I use a red filter to get a nice separation between light and dark when converting but alas this is falling short. I will likely play more with it and if I get it there I'll post it.
 
I like #1 (color-corrected) and #3 (color and b/w) the most. #2 is good, but it doesn't show as much texture as the other two.
 
Thanks Gadfly :)

I also think 2 is falling short, unfortunate since the buckled wood is so yummy!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom