Wine Bottle

joel28

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A friend calls me today that he is creating an advertisement for a wine company, and he wants me to take some photos of wine bottles. I shot in auto mode since i don't have too much experience in manual mode.

$DSC_0005.jpg $DSC_0007.jpg

Critiques and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Joel

Nikon D5100

Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC Macro

Well, first off... They're about 2/3rds to a full stop underexposed (judging by my eyes). The white backdrop should be white, not grey. But you also didn't separately light the backdrop so that may be an issue to get it totally white. The first one is tilting to the right. So is the second one, but to less of a degree. It's very important for product shots to follow a line of uniformity so they should both be straightened.

It also looks like the red wine was shot at a shorter focal length than the white. That is also vital that you keep consistent for the sake of continuity.

If you want good product shots, it's pretty important that you get comfortable with manual mode. It will produce consistent shots once you learn how to set your camera. I'd start with the manual.

As o hey tyler metioned, they are def. underexposed. I agree with the focal length discrepancy. The backdrop has a noticeable crease.

You're possibly going to need to shoot outdoors if you don't have any off camera lighting.

Well, first off... They're about 2/3rds to a full stop underexposed (judging by my eyes). The white backdrop should be white, not grey. But you also didn't separately light the backdrop so that may be an issue to get it totally white. The first one is tilting to the right. So is the second one, but to less of a degree. It's very important for product shots to follow a line of uniformity so they should both be straightened.

It also looks like the red wine was shot at a shorter focal length than the white. That is also vital that you keep consistent for the sake of continuity.

If you want good product shots, it's pretty important that you get comfortable with manual mode. It will produce consistent shots once you learn how to set your camera. I'd start with the manual.

I second all of the above, and would like to add a bit more...

The background just looks like a sheet, not a never ending flat sea of white that it should be. As mentioned, you can do something about this with the lighting (and the lighting is a big problem), it will also help if you use a narrower depth of field by either using a longer focal range which will flatten the background and make it uniform (no crease, as there is in the picture) and/or opening up the aperture so the depth of field becomes narrower.

I'd also say that you need to work on the composition. It may be just a bottle, but get a wine glass, fill it up and put it beside the bottle and really make the light shine through it. You could even spray some water that will pick up light on the glass, giving the idea of freshness to the viewer. Or why not a nice bunch of grapes also beside the two. You'll have to clean up the grapes a bit to get them looking right.

Most reactions

Back