Wine country weekend

Went through my discarded shots again and was specifically looking for ones with lens flare I shoved off. This is one of them, again im conflicted about the lens flare but like it.
View attachment 198005

I think it works in this one. It's about lines. You've got a lot of them in this shot with the rows of vines. The flare cuts a slight diagonal and leads the eye from bright foreground, through the middle darker part, up to the sun, so you can get a sweeping view through the shot. This helps draw attention to the house, which might have gotten a tad bit lost. It also sort of mirrors the slope of the hill on the right of the picture, so the flare provides some balance. Plus, I think it adds to the atmosphere and helps evoke feelings and memories of enjoying a late afternoon outdoors and having to shield your eyes from the sun.

Went through my discarded shots again and was specifically looking for ones with lens flare I shoved off. This is one of them, again im conflicted about the lens flare but like it.
View attachment 198005

I think it works in this one. It's about lines. You've got a lot of them in this shot with the rows of vines. The flare cuts a slight diagonal and leads the eye from bright foreground, through the middle darker part, up to the sun, so you can get a sweeping view through the shot. This helps draw attention to the house, which might have gotten a tad bit lost. It also sort of mirrors the slope of the hill on the right of the picture, so the flare provides some balance. Plus, I think it adds to the atmosphere and helps evoke feelings and memories of enjoying a late afternoon outdoors and having to shield your eyes from the sun.

I specifically took this shot due to the lines of the fields and curvature of the hills. I wish the car wasnt there with its own flare and that the house was a bit clearer. Thank you very much for breaking it down for me, this helps me a lot.

helps evoke feelings and memories of enjoying a late afternoon outdoors

Ditto this.

Awesome thanks!

Now I wonder if there are more im overlooking that have potential. When I started photography I never thought I would agonize so much over what pictures to process and which should be left alone. When I finally feel myself getting comfortable with picking I find something I have been discarding like lens flares and that they can be in some situations pretty awesome.

I guess I got complacent with lens flare starting out being a bad thing and kept that mindset going.

View attachment 198005

I specifically took this shot due to the lines of the fields and curvature of the hills. I wish the car wasnt there with its own flare and that the house was a bit clearer. Thank you very much for breaking it down for me, this helps me a lot.

helps evoke feelings and memories of enjoying a late afternoon outdoors

Ditto this.

Awesome thanks!

Now I wonder if there are more im overlooking that have potential. When I started photography I never thought I would agonize so much over what pictures to process and which should be left alone. When I finally feel myself getting comfortable with picking I find something I have been discarding like lens flares and that they can be in some situations pretty awesome.

I guess I got complacent with lens flare starting out being a bad thing and kept that mindset going.

I think flare was generally regarded as a flaw, and then it became a big thing with the early Instagram crowd, so people then started associating it in a negative way with that and avoided it even more. I see it as just another element of an image. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It depends on the photo and needs to be judged on an individual basis. For me, it's like the passive voice of photography (sorry, I'm a linguist and English teacher, so comparisons to grammar are a natural thing ;) ). Spell and grammar check always calls it out and wants you to use the active voice when sometimes, passive voice suits the sentence/message better.

I've found myself revisiting photos that I thought were terrible and then realizing they are actually pretty good with a bit of editing. On the other hand, I've also seen revisited pictures that I thought were pretty good when I took them, and now, years later, I wonder what I was thinking :lol:

I've found myself revisiting photos that I thought were terrible and then realizing they are actually pretty good with a bit of editing. On the other hand, I've also seen revisited pictures that I thought were pretty good when I took them, and now, years later, I wonder what I was thinking :lol:

Amen, again;)

Amen, again;)

Yeah looking back, even at things I had printed out and framed I am not as proud of as I used to be. I like to think this is me getting better but might also be my taste changing.

Amen, again;)

Yeah looking back, even at things I had printed out and framed I am not as proud of as I used to be. I like to think this is me getting better but might also be my taste changing.
Bite your tongue! It's definitely us getting better;)

Amen, again;)

And here I was, about to say "A little from Column A, a little from Column B." But I'm going with you on this one :lol:

Amen, again;)

Amen, again;)

And here I was, about to say "A little from Column A, a little from Column B." But I'm going with you on this one :lol:

Haha thank you both, appreciate it. This feedback has been great.

Most reactions

Back