Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
p1714400801-5.jpg

Well ya the focus is off the 'winner' and there's a tree growing out of the other guys head and its very noisy and dark, and the contrast between the darkness and the bright highlights doesn't please my eye.

Cool that you got the woman in the back who is probably supporting him

I thought the lack of focus was an interesting unifying element. The woman in the background and the lead rider are rendered in similar degrees of softness, which mildly connects them visually. The actual plane of focus is elsewhere, and not relevant here. It's quite a nifty bit of technique on display here.

My assumption is that it was pure serendipity ;)

I can make out detail in the image and read the names on the riders shirts. I can see the riders veins and muscle tone in the riders arms.I can see the lady is really excited in the back and perhaps more then the rider him self.Sure there is noise and softness but its consistent through out entire picture.I like it and I like the B&W. Thats is my opinion and my like's I am stick to it.

Last edited:
IMO a sharp,focused well composed action shot is nothing more than a record of the happening-unless something extraordinary occurs.

This image gives a feeling of what it as like to be part of the event. Far better IMO. I like it.

IMO a sharp,focused well composed action shot is nothing more than a record of the happening-unless something extraordinary occurs.

This image gives a feeling of what it as like to be part of the event. Far better IMO. I like it.
Totally agree.

Was this intentionally shot this way or did you notice in post that you missed focus?

Was this intentionally shot this way or did you notice in post that you missed focus?

I will give two possible answers and you can chose:

1) I pre-focused about halfway between the woman and where the leaders would be, then shot at a sufficient f stop to de focus them both equally. I thought the lack of focus would be an interesting unifying element. The woman in the background and the lead rider are rendered in similar degrees of softness, which mildly connects them visually. The actual plane of focus is elsewhere, and not relevant here.
I edited so that one can make out detail in the image and read the names on the riders shirts so there is noise and softness but its consistent through out entire picture.I liked it much more in B&W.
IMO, a sharp,focused well composed action shot is nothing more than a record of the happening-unless something extraordinary occurs and this kind of image would give a a feeling of what it as like to be part of the event.

or

2: I was trying different focusing modes on my new OMD. This one didn't work well but a part of the image was terrific. I did a major crop and then used Efex Pro to convert it to B&W. It was a mis focus but I lucked upon that interesting corner.

I laughed. Out loud, even ;) Quietly, though!

Ok Thanks. I'll go with #2 only because it's in Sports Gallery. Move it to B&W and I'll go with #1

Before someone discounts this image because it might have been a serendipitous viewing of an accidentally OOF image, consider whether seeing something interesting and taking a very simple, camera moderated exposure is any different.

I did these things: saw the image, pressed the button, downloaded the image and then did some post-processing but just in a slightly different order.

I don't care how it was made. A camera falling on the pavement that reproduces a Cartier-Bresson precisely is just as good a photograph as the original. van Meergeren was cruelly robbed (although he WAS a bit of a crook..)

Most reactions

Back