Winter 2012 English Lake District

Thanks....these are some of my favouroites and I've been blessed with weather. I'm very confident that I had a green horizontal line indicating camera was level. Had to fiddle with my manfrotto head on my Gitzo tripod for what seemed an age to get them level, which with fairly thick gloves (necessary as a carbon fibre tripod gets pretty cold in the winter!) was more fiddly than normal....

Now back home been spending some time knitting panos. Here is one done with my 400mm lens - I know it seems crazy to do a pano with a long lens but the detail is amazing (original file is 120 megapixels and 3GB in size) I still have a 6 shot 120mm one to do, but here is one based on 4 shots:

Pentac 645D FA 400 f/9.5 1/40 (all 4 shots in manual)

early evening light on Helm Crag by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Wooohooo that is tight....you have been gifted to live in such a breath-taking area....wow....I would do some panoramics but it would be full of trees...

And here is that other panoramic. Full file being 4GB in total and 200 megapixels. This is Grasmere

Penrax 645D FA 120 f/16 1/20 6 shots merged in CS5

Grasmere panorama-2 by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Thanks you so much for posting these! Seeing your pictures gave me the kick start I needed to get some of the pictures I took recently edited. I live in the South Lakes and the mountains are dominant in my view as I travel to the train station every day. One day I took the time to photograph the view before I got to the station but I never got round to processing them.

Wast Water 2 is my favourite and is what pushed me into booting up Lightroom! Your panoramas also gave me some inspiration for my editing. I get the feeling that they look far better in a wider frame.

This is what your thread inspired me to throw together! I'll happily remove it but I thought it would be silly to talk about it and not post it! It's not the snazziest photo ever but I'm not really into landscape.
lakedistrict.jpg

PS: I forgot what these mountains are called if you can remind me I'd love to know!

Last edited:
Thanks you so much for posting these! Seeing your pictures gave me the kick start I needed to get some of the pictures I took recently edited. I live in the South Lakes and the mountains are dominant in my view as I travel to the train station every day. One day I took the time to photograph the view before I got to the station but I never got round to processing them.

Wast Water 2 is my favourite and is what pushed me into booting up Lightroom! Your panoramas also gave me some inspiration for my editing. I get the feeling that they look far better in a wider frame.

This is what your thread inspired me to throw together! I'll happily remove it but I thought it would be silly to talk about it and not post it! It's not the snazziest photo ever but I'm not really into landscape.
lakedistrict.jpg

PS: I forgot what these mountains are called if you can remind me I'd love to know!
Looks a little like High Street to me. Difficult to tell. Were you in Kentmere when you took it? I haven't spent a lot of time that side of the Lakes. I tend to be based around Ambleside and the Langdales when I am up

Wasdale and Wast water are always awkward for me to get to as I don't drive so with the assistance of a Lake District based friend I finally managed to see the majestic Wasdale Valley (after a hair=raising trip over icy Wrynose pass, and then we turned back on Hardnott Pass as was completely iced over - but a breathtaking drive nonetheless). The scenery in this valley is breathtaking!

Pentax 645D FA 33-55 at 55mm f/16 1/60

Wast Water and the Lake District trio by singingsnapper, on Flickr

a wider view:

Pentax 645D FA33-55 at 33mm f/11 1/100 ISO 200

Wast Water in morning-2 by singingsnapper, on Flickr

We heard that there was good beer t be found at the Wasdale Head inn so headed in that direction (the prediction was accurate - and worth the 8 mile round trip) here are a few shots on the way

Pentax 645D FA 33-55mm at 33mm f/11 1/125 ISO 200

Wasdale Head by singingsnapper, on Flickr

closer to the small village:

FA33-55 at f/11 1/100 ISO 200

Wasdale Head Village by singingsnapper, on Flickr

After a pint and a packet of crisps we headed back, and I tool this shot of a cottage at the head of te valley with Great Gable behind it

Pentax 645D FA33-55 at 43mm f/11 1/100 ISO 200

Great Gable and cottage by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Then the evening started to fall

Pentax 645D FA 33-55 at f/11 1/125 ISO 400

Wasdale evening by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Have adjusted 2 and 5, reducing EV by .75 as the skies were a little washed out

wasdale morning adj by singingsnapper, on Flickr

wasdale evning adj by singingsnapper, on Flickr

You really have brought out some detail in the sky on Wasdale Evening. Are you or have you tried an ND Grad filter on your lens or in post?

I was here. Put this in and go on steet view +54° 9' 28.46", -3° 6' 9.88".

lakesmap.jpg

It's where they call the South Lakes or Lake District Peninsulas. I was just south of Ulverston at a place called Birkrigg.

I didn't have them with me that particular day but I do have a cokin kit.
That's the Furness Fells, including Old Man of Coniston that you can see I suspect

I think it could be Sca Fell and Coniston Old Man! I should know really, I have climbed them a number of years ago in my youth. Getting to 19 really fogs the mind!

Also, because of my envy, I thought I'd have a go at editing one of your photos. I hope you don't mind. I really wish I could get up to the Lakes and spend a day shooting, then I'd have some of my own to edit!

Wasdale Evening Edit by Mot

I won't post any of my own versions out of respect for yours. All I've done is add an ND Grad with a hint of clarity included, pumped up the contrast, saturation and overall clarity and then pulled back on the yellows. The ratio has also been changed to 16:9 with a slight correction to the horizon line. I'd tried to get it to 'pop' or 'punch' as they say in the US. Obviously I've only edited the JPG so there'll be a loss of quality.

Are these really on a Pentax Medium format camera? That would be so much fun! I should get my medium film shot, I have about 4 rolls of Provia 400X left. I've even got 5-6 sheets of large format left!

Edit: I did this one aswell. It's quite fun editing landscape, especially when you've got great photos to work with!

Last edited:
I think it could be Sca Fell and Coniston Old Man! I should know really, I have climbed them a number of years ago in my youth. Getting to 19 really fogs the mind!

Also, because of my envy, I thought I'd have a go at editing one of your photos. I hope you don't mind. I really wish I could get up to the Lakes and spend a day shooting, then I'd have some of my own to edit!

Wasdale Evening Edit by Mot

I won't post any of my own versions out of respect for yours. All I've done is add an ND Grad with a hint of clarity included, pumped up the contrast, saturation and overall clarity and then pulled back on the yellows. The ratio has also been changed to 16:9 with a slight correction to the horizon line. I'd tried to get it to 'pop' or 'punch' as they say in the US. Obviously I've only edited the JPG so there'll be a loss of quality.

Are these really on a Pentax Medium format camera? That would be so much fun! I should get my medium film shot, I have about 4 rolls of Provia 400X left. I've even got 5-6 sheets of large format left!

Edit: I did this one aswell. It's quite fun editing landscape, especially when you've got great photos to work with!

I can see what you were trying to do. Too far for my taste if I'm honest. Too much cyan in the sky for my taste, and too much clarity. I do up them myself but generally not to that extent.
It is the Pentax digital medium format. There are rumours of a 60 mp full frame medium format being announced at Photokina, but I'd never pay UK prices. usually about 40% igher than US or Japanese prices (I bought muine at Yodabashi Camera in Akihabara, Tokyo.

If you want a little more clarity and contrast - I've also increased saturation a little:

another Wasdale evening by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Last edited:
I've been very impressed with the nik software that I've used, so I got the color efex 4 and viveza2 plus their sgarpener and noise reducer tonight. Here is my first play with some of those. I'm pretty happy.

This is the shot before:

Sunny Grasmere by singingsnapper, on Flickr

and this is after applying ND Grad preset in Color efex and adjusting contrast in Viveza 2

Grasmere-adjusted-nik by singingsnapper, on Flickr

and after a minor adjustment:

grasmere on a sunny day-2 by singingsnapper, on Flickr

My wife is from Heysham and when we were courting we took many trips into the Lake District. We even took a one week walking holiday walking from valley to valley using the public paths through the passes. Up one hill and down another to get to a B&B or pub with rooms only to do it again the next day. Your photos brought back some happy memories, thanks for sharing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back