Winter 2012 English Lake District

thereyougo!

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Back up in the lakes again and the weather has been fantastic today, just need to be more organised and get out earlier but there was some nice light late afternoon and as the evening fell, a swan family came to the edge of Grasmere...

This is the view of Grasmere from the end of the path from Rydal when the weather is calm it's always a good spot.

Pentax 645D FA 33-55 at 39mm f/11 1/200 ISO 250

Sunny Grasmere by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Teatime (although I had no tea!) and the moon is just over half full

Pentax 645D FA 400 f/8 1/60 ISO 100

teatime moon by singingsnapper, on Flickr

This was taken right at the end of the day as the light completely faded alongside Rydal water

Pentax 645D FA120 macro f/11 30 secs ISO 125

rydal cottage by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Just at the end of Grasmere some Swans came to look after their gosling who had been exploring the Rothay:

Pentax 645D FA 120 f/8 1/160 ISO 500

grasmere swans by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Pentax 645D FA 120 f/8 1/100 ISO 640

I'm watching you! by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Pentax 645D FA 120 f/6.7 1/100 ISO 640

swan mother by singingsnapper, on Flickr

and the Gosling:

Pentax 645D FA 120 f/8 1/60 ISO 640

Grasmere gosling by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Wasdale and Wast water are always awkward for me to get to as I don't drive so with the assistance of a Lake District based friend I finally managed to see the majestic Wasdale Valley (after a hair=raising trip over icy Wrynose pass, and then we turned back on Hardnott Pass as was completely iced over - but a breathtaking drive nonetheless). The scenery in this valley is breathtaking!

Pentax 645D FA 33-55 at 55mm f/16 1/60

Wast Water and the Lake District trio by singingsnapper, on Flickr

a wider view:

Pentax 645D FA33-55 at 33mm f/11 1/100 ISO 200

Wast Water in morning-2 by singingsnapper, on Flickr

We heard that there was good beer t be found at the Wasdale Head inn so headed in that direction (the prediction was accurate - and worth the 8 mile round trip) here are a few shots on the way

Pentax 645D FA 33-55mm at 33mm f/11 1/125 ISO 200

Wasdale Head by singingsnapper, on Flickr

closer to the small village:

FA33-55 at f/11 1/100 ISO 200

Wasdale Head Village by singingsnapper, on Flickr

After a pint and a packet of crisps we headed back, and I tool this shot of a cottage at the head of te valley with Great Gable behind it

Pentax 645D FA33-55 at 43mm f/11 1/100 ISO 200

Great Gable and cottage by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Then the evening started to fall

Pentax 645D FA 33-55 at f/11 1/125 ISO 400

Wasdale evening by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Absolutely gorgeous landscapes!! I also loved the swans and gosling.

Today I left the big camera behind. It started snowing at 11.30 Saturday morning and kept going for 12 hours! So we have a very good covering and after Cumbria County Council went on TV last month proudly saying that in spite of the spring like temperatures they were stockpiling road salt that's how well prepared they were. Roll forward a month and they didn't get the gritters and snow ploughs out until there was 6 inches of snow already on the ground! I spent some time assisting some motorists stuck on the Ambleside/Coniston road who were stuck as I made my way back.

I'm not sure what you will think of these as two of them are with my iphone - did some panos handheld, and I think they've come out pretty well, YMMV. The other two are new for me. Having a macro lens I had a go of getting shots of snowflakes. I have to admit to struggle a little in the focus element of macro and I have even more to learn there. I did these when I got back to the house.

iPhone 4S 1/60 ISO 64 (4 shots)

Panoramic Langdale on an iphone bw! by singingsnapper, on Flickr

same settings, less wide pano (2 shots)

Langdale on an iphone bw! by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Now the snowflakes:

Pentax 645D FA 120 f/6.7 0.5 secs

snowflake by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Pentax 645D FA 120 f/16 1/4 (with use of a torch)

snowflakes by singingsnapper, on Flickr

A glorious day in the lake District yesterday, once the mist had cleared. Was a nice evening sky too:

This is a multiple exposure using photomatix

Pentax 645D FA33-55 at 48mm f/16

Brathay view by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Another multiple, further along the Brathay:

Pentax 645D FA 33-55 at 33mm and f/16

wethelam at sunset by singingsnapper, on Flickr

I waited for an hour or so to allow the sky to go dark, thinking that the full moon had set earlier as had not seen it out that day (misread my app) but decided to make use of the moonlight in any case as the mists descended to the valley

Pentax 645D FA 33-55 at 43mm and f/16

A Moonlit Wetherlam by singingsnapper, on Flickr

tighter crop:

moonlit wetherlam - tighter crop by singingsnapper, on Flickr

No one has mentioned that most of the photos have tilted horizons??? Blasphemy! Just kidding, but seriously...the horizons are crooked...

I like that daytime moon...

No one has mentioned that most of the photos have tilted horizons??? Blasphemy! Just kidding, but seriously...the horizons are crooked...

I like that daytime moon...
I have a level checker on the camera and most of these were on a tripod with the camera completely level. Where not on a tripod - and some of the Wast water ones weren't, my pentax tells me in the viewfinder by the means of a single vertical line. Perspective comes into it as Lakes and rivers have different edges and nearly every one of these images has water and lake and river edges where the lake/river's edge is irregular. The road in Rydal Cottage goes uphill across the shot. I have taken to disbelieve my level device in my camera before only to find it correct afterwards.

When I cannot see the horizon I look at the trees...most of them seem to have a slant to them...but perhaps I have a heavy left testicle and MY eyes are crooked...

Please don't get me wrong, I really like your photos...makes me want to go there, I just wanted to bring up the horizon issue...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back