What's new

Winter must be over - -

Ron Evers

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Jun 28, 2008
Messages
6,631
Reaction score
2,588
Location
In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
- - because the skunks are out & about the yard @ dusk.


IMG_4005sm.jpg



IMG_4006sm.jpg
 
Ugly little thing.
 
I never see them around here. But I always smell them..
 
not here, haha drove through 3 different county's and into 2 states today for work, blizzard conditions in all of them!! and returned home to a patch of blue sky just covering the city... back of subject i like #1, the last one seems a bit blured to me
 
We don't have them where I live, so I have never seen one outside a zoo, and never smelled one ever! ;)

When they're out in your yard, can you open the window or door to take their photo, or would they run if you made the slightest of noises? Any time I see squirrels in our gardens, my only chance to get their photos is through the glass of our windows. They'd be off like a flash if only I tried to open the back door to get their photo directly, with no glass inbetween!
 
We don't have them where I live, so I have never seen one outside a zoo, and never smelled one ever! ;)

When they're out in your yard, can you open the window or door to take their photo, or would they run if you made the slightest of noises? Any time I see squirrels in our gardens, my only chance to get their photos is through the glass of our windows. They'd be off like a flash if only I tried to open the back door to get their photo directly, with no glass inbetween!

Skunks do not run fast. I stayed about 10 meters away from this guy & shot about 15 frames to get only two half decent. Whenever it got uncomfortable with me it would stop & look at me as in the second shot.
 
Props for having the guts to bring yourself, let alone a camera, anywhere NEAR that thing! lol I'd get as far away as fast as possible, nasty little boogers...
 
So I may as well be GLAD that we don't have them over here in Europe? ;) Sounds like it.
 
We call them kansas kitties here and yes you are a brave man. lol
vtf
 
Great job, Ron. I don't think I've ever seen a live skunk (plenty of dead ones in the road, though) except maybe at the zoo. Don't try to get too close, they are among the major rabies carriers. Not that I think you'd try to get too close; those guys have their own brand of protection!

LaFoto, have you tried setting out food for the squirrels? They aren't always so timid if they're used to you around. In the parks they will sit very close by and eat. In the neighborhoods they are not so easygoing, probably because there are lots of cats and dogs around that chase them (I know my dogs would chase one if they dared to get off the fence!) Try putting out some seed for them and see if they get used to coming around for food. My husband used to hang 2-liter soda bottles filled with seed for the birds and they would chew through the plastic to get to the seeds.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom