Wireless remote for D90

robhollen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am considering purchasing a wireless remote for my D90 camera. I know Nikon makes a IR, but I want to get one with some range in case I need it and not have to be concerned about making sure the transmitter and receiver are within the line of sight. I am considering getting the Vivitar RC-200, but there doesn't appear to be any instructions on the net on how to use it.

I do a lot of photography using a pocketwizard to fire off my strobes both indoor (studio) and sometimes outdoors. All the websites that sell the Vivitar says it goes on the camera's hotshoe which of course is being used by the pocketwizard. Since I want to get the wireless remote for a shoot next weekend, does anyone know how exactly to attach and setup the wireless remote to the D90 camera while still being able to use a Pocketwizard. I assume there is a way, but don't know if there is extra cords/equipment I have to purchase with it.

I will probably buy it the wireless remote online and most of the sites appear to sell the Vivitar wireless remotes for specific cameras so maybe anything extra to connect it to a specific camera is already in the box.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, because the D90 is an entry-level camera, it lacks the 10-pin port most RF remotes would use.

However, the D90 does have an Accessory Terminal (D90 User's Manual page 4 - Item 14) where an MC-DC2 remote cord or GPS can plug in. You may be able to find a 3rd party remote that can use that terminal.

OK. I just re-read the product description for the Vivitar VIV-RC-200 that is compatible with the D90 Vivitar VIV-RC-200/D90 Wireless Remote Shutter VIV-RC-200/D90

It says "a receiver which can be attached to the camera's flash shoe and connects to the camera's cable release socket" but the picture shows a cord coming out of the receiver which would plug into the accessory terminal of the D90. I'm thinking the receiver can operate by just plugging it in to the accessory terminal and hang or be secured by using a velcro strap on the tripod. Maybe it attaches to the hot shoe to secure the receiver but the hot shoe doesn't actually operate the receiver. Any thoughts on this one?

Most reactions

Back