Wireless Remote not working for my Nikon D3100

milleyd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i own a new nikon D3100 and wanted to have a wireless remote. i bought the Pixel RW-221 wireless remote from eBay ( RW-221 Wireless Shutter Remote for Nikon D7000 D3100 | eBay ).
however, when i hook it up, it don't work! the remote and the receiver are both on the same channel and they both light up green when i push 1/2 ways down on the shutter button on the remote, and when i press fully down, both flash red which indicated a photo should have been taken. but this doesn't happen, the camera doesn't even focus! is there some kind of setting that i should have my camera on? i even contacted nikon and they said the 3100 doesn't support wireless and that i should have a MC-DC2, but the link i provided above says it should! help please!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Why should Nikon provide support for a product that isn't even theirs?

i don't know?
im new to this and i only asked a question.

If you read the Nikon manual, I'll bet there something to this effect:

"Use Only Nikon Brand Electronic Accessories
Nikon digital single-lens reflex cameras are designed to the highest standards and include complex electronic circuitry. Only Nikon brand electronic accessories (including lenses, battery chargers, batteries, AC adapters, and flash accessories) certified by Nikon specifically for use with this Nikon digital single-lens reflex camera are engineered and proven to operate within the operational and safety requirements of this electronic circuitry."

It's legalese for "Don't use anything unless we make it. If you do, you can mess up your gear and we aren't responsible."

Does the company that makes the remote have some sort of support web site or phone number?

no, i ordered it from ebay and the instructions came in chinese, which is why im in the mess.

@ 480sparky - are you suggesting that nobody ever should use third party electronics? I guess I should throw my Tamron away...

@ 480sparky - are you suggesting that nobody ever should use third party electronics? I guess I should throw my Tamron away...

Not at all. Nikon's already done that.

My point is.... Nikon (or Canon or Olympus or Sony or Pentax or Leica.....) has nothing to do with non-OEM stuff. Just because some Chinese factory says it's compatible with a given camera does not require the camera company to figure out why it doesn't work. Look at the tires on a new vehicle..... they're warranteed by the tire manufacturer, NOT the car maker.

this still isn't answering my question.
this should work because the device asks like a wireless transmitter... did you even look at it ? and just because its not made by the company doesn't mean that it shouldn't work.

I looked at an ebay listing for a non-OEM accessory. That doesn't tell me much. Just because it says it works doesn't mean it will. I would suggest contacting the manufacturer of the unit.

But I wouldn't hold my breath.

They have a return policy of one year on the unit, contact the seller, tell him your plight and see what they say. Most times since they are in China, they will just send you a new unit...not saying this will, but that has been my experience working with Chinese and Korean sellers in the past.

good luck man.

next time search around....here is the OEM one at Amazon

Amazon.com: Nikon ML-L3 Wireless Remote Control for Nikon P7000, D3000, D40, D40x, D50, D5000, D60, D70, D7000, D70s, D80 & D90 Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

here is one listed here (old thread though)
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-d7000-wireless-remote-shutter-n3-mc-dc2.html

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The Nikon D3100 doesn't have the infrared sensor in the camera, so that is why it doesn't support the wireless remote. The Nikon one won't even work with it. How is your dslr supposed to receive a signal if it doesn't have a receiver to receive it? You would need a wired one. Either the MC-DC2 or a third party will work.

@ ift - what she has bought comes in two parts. One - the transmitter. Two - the receiver which plugs into the the camera where a wired shutter release would normally plug into, making it "wireless".

Most reactions

Back