Wireless Shutter Release?

ababysean

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking to buy a wireless shutter release, but I am confused as some reviews state they can only work when you are IN FRONT of the camera?

Why would that be helpful when you are trying to photograph a child? I would not be in front of the camera?

Any advice or suggestions?

I have a Nikon D3000

They operate via infrared signals, and the reciever is in the front of the camera.

Get a wired release.

There are two kinds of wireless remote releases for DSLRs: IR and RF. IR releases tend to be inexpensive, have a short range, and of course need a direct line of sight to your camera's IR receiver, just like your television remote control. RF remotes have much longer ranges (I have successfully used mine at 500'+) and can be operated from almost anywhere in relation to the camera.

If you're going to buy one, I would suggest spending the extra ($75 - 150 vice $25-40) for an RF type.

Like this?
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Aputure-Camera-Remote-Shutter-Release/dp/B003Y30DOS/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1282757209&sr=8-2-fkmr3]Amazon.com: Aputure Camera Remote Shutter Release Cable 3N for Nikon D90, D5000, D3000: Camera…[/ame]

It's not that bad though putting the remote in front of it a little bit.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes, the sensor is at the front of the camera. You could bounce the signal off of a wall or something.

You have to be in front of the camera as in "be somewhere not directly behind the camera." I've used my IR release from behind the camera many times, just hold the remote above and about an inch in front of the front plane of the camera and point it in the general direction of the IR receiver and it should work.

Well I ordered the one with the cord. Now I hope I don't pull the camera over! lol

I have a wired and a wireless release for my Nikon D90. I bought the wired one after I lost the wireless one. Then I found it again so now I have 2.

A couple of things I've noticed having both:

The wireless can often refuse to fire depending on location/distance as has been stated. Has caused some missed shots.

The wired release will act just like the shutter on the camera body in that it will refocus and lock with a 1/2 press. The wireless does not do this so you will need to set up perfectly prior to using the wireless release - difficult if you are doing a self portrait or the subject has moved due to wind, etc.

The wired release I have could use a longer cord.

These are the 2 I have - I like the wired better.

Nikon MC-DC2 Remote Release Cord 25395 - B&H Photo Video

Nikon ML-L3 Wireless Remote Control (Infrared) 4730 - B&H Photo

This is the one I use. I am very happy with it so far. The cord is short, but I take advantage of that by letting it hang (without touching the ground) sometimes.

41B5XP70JZL._SS500_.jpg

Most reactions

Back