Witch one?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by cherrypics, Dec 8, 2008.

1. AdamBomb

AdamBomb TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Thats What I use, "Vivid > Saturation +2 or 3"

2. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    What I think is that you should forget about these two particular cameras features and look at what is REALLY important...

I will say look at the LENS systems for the two cameras. Digital cameras come and go (both of the cameras you mentioned will be obsolete in two years), but the lenses you will own for 10 or 20 years... so my advise is to look at which LENS system you like the best.

I shoot Nikon because I like Nikon lenses... not because of a particular camera body.

That choice is far more important than which camera body you will buy, especially when both cameras will make excellent pictures (as the D90 and 40D both will).

As far as the 18-200 VR goes, I have one... it is my wife's lens. I personally would MUCH rather save $350 and buy the combo of the 18-55 VR and the 55-200 VR because both are sharper, have less distortion and less CA than the 18-200 does at about half the price.

3. cherrypics

cherrypics TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    OK. Well the canon is out... But I am considering the D300...

4. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Either Nikon or Canon will have a robust lens lineup (ESPECIALLY for a newcomer to photography), so that really isn't that big of a factor unless you are doing super specific photography where either company has a lens that the competition does not.

Having said that the D300 is a great camera - but it is a ROBUST camera. Certainly not a point-and-shoot affair, but it does have a pretty forgiving learning curve. It comes ready to go out of the box, yet has a wealth of customization at your disposal.

5. cherrypics

cherrypics TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    So would you say that it would be better to get the D300 and grow into it rather then getting the D90? Or would the D300 be to much camera?
    I have been taking pictures for awhile with an older Minolta 35mm. This will be my first DSLR, but photography is something I have been wanting to get serious about for the last ten years and now I have the money to do it. I'm also considering some photography courses.

6. ANDS!

Photos OK to edit
    Personally, I would get the D300 as it will no doubt force you to start thinking of your camera less in terms of a P&S. The movie mode WOULD be nice, but without an Autofocus, keeping your kids in focus might be a pain, and probably not worth. That is just me however. Another incentive on getting the D300, is that the used prices of one (you can check out Fredmiranda.com or Nikonians.org) are consistently seen in the 1000-1200 range for lightly used bodies. Buying from a forum member with good feedback is essentially the same as buying from a store with better deals. Inevitably, someone will tell you to buy "new", yet buying used free's up more cash for lenses and usually these cameras will still have their warranty on them.

If however you choose to get the D90, you wont be disappointed. Essentially it is a "mini-D300-lite" just as the D80 was a "mini-D200-lite" (and those two cameras are still kick ass).

7. cherrypics

cherrypics TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I really don't care about the movie mode anyway I have a video camera, so my pick will be a used D300.
    I know I'm full of Q's but I was wondering what about Cameta camera? I have been reading reviews and most all of them are good and most of the bad ones and about how long it took to get something.
    I saw a really good deal from them on ebay for a demo D300 with 18-55 and 55-200 VR lens and some other acc for $1439.95.
    I was just wondering

8. ANDS!

Photos OK to edit
    I personally used the 18-55VR lens, and I wasn't too impressed with it. It's not a bad lens by any means, it just didn't (for me) perform better than the normal walk around lens I have the Sigma 24-60 F/2.8. They have a demo unit for 1220 (shipping included), and you could score a 24-60 for about the same cost. Of course you would be left without a telephoto, but depending on where you live, you can find those 55-200 VR's all the time (or grab an older 70-210 which is a better performer).

Options, options, options.

9. cherrypics

cherrypics TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Is that at cameta?

10. ANDS!

Photos OK to edit

Here it is. Also be aware that that camera includes a one year warranty. I have had my Cameta branded D300 since August, and have had no problems whatsoever with it. It was a "demo" unit and had all of 200 shutter actuations on it.