With or Without the Noise Reduction?

With (photo 1) or without (photo 2) the noise reduction?

• With

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Without

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Was playing around pushing the ISO a bit while taking a photo for the DOF challenge. Used the XT2 with 60mm macro, ss 1/500, f 2.4, ISO 12800. Converted the RAW file in camera +2 exposure then converted to b&w using the ACROS film simulation. I used Topaz DeNoise at the RAW Moderate setting then sharpened just a bit. I did not sharpen the file without the noise reduction. Just curious which people think looks better. I know which one I prefer but I'll keep that to myself for now...

1. With noise reduction

2. Without
[url=https://flic.kr/p/YzhH7p]
[/url]

Either shot is fine by me...there are plenty of "clues" in there for me to read between the lines, so heavy NR as in shot #1, or NO NR, as in #2...about the same impact for me.

I tend to prefer no NR, or very,very,very little NR, to a loss of high frequency detail, but the shallow DOF means that this shot has very little high frequency detail, due to the majority of that stuff being rendered OOF.

I tend to value fine detail and sharpness retention over noise reduction, so I like the second one. Especially in black and white photos, I’ve never found noise to be a detractor.. at least not with any of the modern DSLRs.

Both.

I'd use layer masks so that the strong noise reduction is applied to the background out-of-focus areas and the sharpening/low noise reduction to the in focus areas of the nose. If you use the brush tools on the layer mask with say 10% opacity you can then build up a little around the noise area in stages so that you don't get a sharp transition from noise reduction to no noise reduction.

#1. I see more grainy artifacts in the one with reduced noise. Long hair chihauhua?

Papillon -he does frequently get mistaken for a chihuahua or a pomeranian mix.

always without for me, didnt even have to look.

but i did look, at still say without.

Without noise reduction: in the reduced noise image the eyes look very glassy and the nose has little to no detail.

Thanks all for your input. For practice I’m going to work on this one some more and see if I can find a happy medium.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back