Helen B. The idea here is to get film to digital. inexpensively.
I have one of these little guys and for pictures I took back in the 60s and 70s and 80s and 90s of girl friends and dogs and cars and motor cycles, partying and hiking and skiing and bla bla bla it works great. For negatives carried around in shoe boxes for 40 years it works great. For some one who never left home with out a camera and most friends never realized I had two eyes and not just one big glassy one it works great. It gives you a 5 mega pixel image of average quality you can work with. If you started out with your dads old Argus C3 totally manual rage finder hand me down 40's vintage camera that he carried through WWII where you used a hand held light meter for the special shots (and you knew shutter speed aperture, film speed and depth of field and how they interacted ...kids these days...) or where exposures vary snapshot to snapshot it's OK. It may not give you a Putzer Prize image but to get that picture of the of the 5 gallon bucket of ice being dumped down the back of your neck while your four sheets to the wind at your returning to the real world party...priceless. You can sit and watch 24 and "scan" images and not lose the story line. If you have a decent negative/slide you get a decent image. If you want to create a digital photo album it's great. If you want something better for that OMG moment, go spend the $600 or send it to a professional. For most of us with thousands and thousands of negatives this could be the ticket.
BUT!!! Here is the killer. It gets a lint build up on the inside and you really can't get it out. Static sticks the lint and crud to the inside leans/platen and you can't get to the inside to clean it. You can run several film strips though it and get the same question mark looking artifact on all the images. You can try blowing it out but it does not work. You could probably run them through some image manipulation software to remove it but that's not what you buy this for. You can use the little brush that comes with it but it just moves the lint around. Don't get me wrong, I really want this thing to work. It's like not being able to get off, Oh Yes, OH YEs !, it's almost there but not quite, its frustrating!
Bottom line, I don't know. I'm probably going to look for a refurbished Epson V7xx or such where I can run at least 16 images at once and be able to clean the platen and after everything is converted still have a good flat bed scanner for everyday use. But even then it won't be as handy. But I ramble....