Women shooting alone in remote locations or at night?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being in a park of course is a situation where in a way, maybe more likely to be a place where you wouldn't expect to have to be too concerned about safety. I agree, prevention and awareness are probably best as much as possible.

Agree.

It is just politics as usual, for both sides of the spectrum.

It is hardly worth arguing the points against or for anymore, it is true that neither side is swayed much by the other.

Again, you don't deal with the facts of the report, just want to get out of the issue by saying it is politics.

That is the classic 'backfire' effect.
"Backfire" may well indeed play a huge roll in politics for a lot of people including myself, as well as you.
As described in the report, it sounds like a psychological condition in that we all have a desire to be right, and want our "team" to win.

I also "loath" psychology, just more of my "backfire" thought process I guess.

we're not talking about guns (or stun guns) and backfiring right ?

good .. that could hurt ..

I have often wondered how I am supposed to be feeling safer when behind me there's a nut trying to take out as many people as he can, while in front of me is an untrained cowboy, too excited to even think straight - and probably scared out of his mind, that thinks he's going to play hero. Isn't being caught in a crossfire more dangerous than being shot at from only one direction?

From what I've understood the thing is with carrying any sort of weapon or device is whether or not you could use it; if you're caught unawares there may or may not be time to react.

I had one experience doing home visits where a guy passed me and nodded and I nodded back and then the realization sunk in, did he have something under his jacket?? I walked very fast the last few feet to the car, hopped in and got the heck out of there. If Mr. Friendly neighborhood drug dealer (and I don't know that but would consider it a possibility) wanted to take me out I don't know that I could have done anything or not to prevent it. But trying to be alert, park close to where I'm going, schedule early mornings before things get hopping, etc. could be preventive (and carrying baby toys probably made me appear as not much of a threat to the livelihood of any Mr. Drug dealer types around).

Of course something could happen anyplace, and thinking about how many home visits we did in our jobs, in 20+ years we had some odd situations but nothing life threatening or close to putting our lives in real danger. So maybe the odds are against an attack or abduction and everyday routine happenings aren't what you see on the news.

Being in a park of course is a situation where in a way, maybe more likely to be a place where you wouldn't expect to have to be too concerned about safety. I agree, prevention and awareness are probably best as much as possible.
Situational awareness is a big part of personal defense whether one is armed or unarmed.

A dog can be a good asset (even if he's not big or an "attack" dog). BTW, here's a hint if you own a dog...teach him to bark or growl on command. And your command for your dog to growl is: "no bite, no bite." Tell that to a dog that is growling and most approaching individuals will figure they can't "friend" their way past the dog, they're going to take a couple of bites (even from a small dog) and like reconsider.
--As you shoot, always take quick breaks to put the camera down and look round you. Check the environment. Listen for other hikers. Scan for anyone who's being a voyeur of sorts. I had a chance to talk to a Brit who had gone through the British Jungle Warfare School in Malaysia...where they do their jungle training. He was taught that when you're out in the boonies you stop every couple of minutes and just take the lay of things...see if you hear any unordinary sounds, a flock of birds suddenly taking flight, and that when you do this as a habit...you start to acquire a sense that warns you "something's different."

Between hiking and biking I'm off in the woods by myself quite a lot. And now I'm out at odd hours late at night/very early trying to take decent photos. I say that these two things are key.

I like to take my loud little dog with me, if I'm going to be out late. She's noisy (which draws a lot of attention) and most attackers want nothing to do with that.

If you are out in the American woods... listen for squirrel warnings and jays/crows. Yes, they will all warn when you first show up but most settle down after a while. If they raise a ruckus again take a look around. It might be a hawk.. it might be another person. I think it's neat that this is something they teach... here I thought it was me just being odd!

I have often wondered how I am supposed to be feeling safer when behind me there's a nut trying to take out as many people as he can, while in front of me is an untrained cowboy, too excited to even think straight - and probably scared out of his mind, that thinks he's going to play hero. Isn't being caught in a crossfire more dangerous than being shot at from only one direction?

This assumes that every person carrying a concealed weapon is an untrained cowboy who's too scared to think straight and probably scared out of his mind who thinks he's going to play hero. That's just not the case. In fact, you would probably be quite surprised at the number of people you encounter every day who are carrying a gun.

I've used my concealed weapon twice: Once to protect myself and once to protect someone else. I promise you, the person I protected remains quite happy that I was there when I was.

But I thought it would include a link to something showing exactly the opposite info or stats.

I don't need "stats". If I wasn't armed when I was, I would be dead right now.

No "stat" on the planet will ever sway me.

But I thought it would include a link to something showing exactly the opposite info or stats.

Truly glad for you and the person you saved. . Glad you are ready for every situation possible and hopefully you will be able to save the next person from suicide or the next child in school. . We need a few million more Innuendos to save us.

My husband always worries when I go out alone whether it be early or late. When my twins were toddlers, he signed me up for a self defense class. I have taken a new one every few years as a refresher. One thing they teach is to be observant of your surroundings.

When I go out there are a few things I have. My pepper spray, a pocket knife, and a whistle. I actually had to use the pepper spray a year ago, not on a person but on a dog. I have a hobby of looking for fossils and interesting rocks. I was at an old gravel pit when I heard a dog growling. I hadn't been paying attention and startled it. I tried to back away but it started to follow. It continued to growl and I could see the hair along its back was raised up. I had about 50 yards between me and my car. Normally I would avoid hurting an animal if possible but I made a decision. I unlocked my spray and aimed a squirt toward the dog. It yelped and started running in circles and I ran for my car. I then called the owner of the property to see if it was his dog. It was not so I called animal control so they could come and check it out. I'm not sure what I would have did if I didn't have my spray.

Oh, I also use a Bluetooth ear piece and set my phone to call out with a verbal command. Hopefully I will never be in a situation where I will have to use anything against another person but you never know and it is much better to be prepared!

Interesting that the anti-gun folks say things like "could" "may" "if" "what if" and the pro-carry folks speak of actual real situations with personal or well documented information.
Ninety-nine percent of the people I have contact with on a daily basis have no idea that I am, and have been, armed at all times for 20+ years.

Bring 150 bs of this with you, most people with bad intentions don't want anything to do with a big set of well trained teeth

Truly glad for you and the person you saved. . Glad you are ready for every situation possible and hopefully you will be able to save the next person from suicide or the next child in school. . We need a few million more Innuendos to save us.

Well, I've never said I was ready for every situation possible, so I would appreciate you not lying about that, if it's all the same to you.

That said, yeah, you definitely could use a few more Innuendos. If I'm going to be a "victim", the perpetrator is gonna' work for it.

Bring 150 bs of this with you, most people with bad intentions don't want anything to do with a big set of well trained teeth

I grew up with Danes. GREAT dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back