Wondering: D7000 vs D800 vs D700

Status
Not open for further replies.
graecyn said:
Thank you, but I'm not an absolute beginner. :p Just continuously considering myself an amateur.

Page 45-
The importance of lenses.

I know that glass is important. I'm not DEBATING that. That was never the issue. I know that, if I invested in good glass, I could potentially produce photos with a D7000 that are on par and relatively indistinguishable from a D700 for example, save for ISO noise in lower light conditions. That is not what I'm worried about. Investing in glass is not the issue.

It is an inner dilemma of whether or not to sit on the D7000 and learn to use it (as my first ever Nikon camera) that I could potentially need to replace in a year anyway as technology progresses - or to invest in the D800 - a newer, pro-grade, full frame camera body that I eventually (and will inevitably) upgrade to one day, that I will not feel the need to replace for several years to come. I doubt that a D900 will be coming out anytime soon, considering it's taken 3 1/2 years for the D800 to be released.

Anyway - thanks Mach0. I will take your words into consideration. You've been much more helpful. Thank you.

I guess it would be a purchase of laziness. I'd rather buy, learn on, and invest in glass for a pro-grade camera more than I would a mid-grade one.

Well then, it sounds like your decision ought to be easy. Buy an FX Nikon body. The D700 can utilize most of the Nikkor lenses made since 1977 without any lens modifications, both with manual and with autofocusing lenses. A 12 MP FX sensor does pretty well across a wide spectrum of shooting situations, and is not super-critical about the lenses mounted on it. There are over 70 million Nikon-made F-mount lenses in circulation, so you ought to be able to locate four or five of them for your own use. If you plan,within a year, on having an FX format Nikon, then it makes sense to buy one NOW, and use it. A year goes by pretty rapidly. I myself have tried the D7000's viewfinder, and find it to be seriously lacking for *me*, with the type of eyeglasses I wear...the "pro" Nikons have long had bigger, better viewfinders--the kind with the 22mm round eyepiece, not that awful small rectangular style.

It is an inner dilemma of whether or not to sit on the D7000 and learn to use it (as my first ever Nikon camera) that I could potentially need to replace in a year anyway as technology progresses - or to invest in the D800 - a newer, pro-grade, full frame camera body that I eventually (and will inevitably) upgrade to one day, that I will not feel the need to replace for several years to come. I doubt that a D900 will be coming out anytime soon, considering it's taken 3 1/2 years for the D800 to be released.

This is another thing you don't understand. People don't NEED to replace camera bodies as technology "progresses."

My primary body is from 2006, it's a 5D Mark I and it puts out great images. My SECOND body is a 5D Mark II from 2008, which also puts out great images.

Again... It's not the BODY, it's the GLASS that's in front of it.

I guess it would be a purchase of laziness. I'd rather buy, learn on, and invest in glass for a pro-grade camera more than I would a mid-grade one.

Well then, it sounds like your decision ought to be easy. Buy an FX Nikon body. The D700 can utilize most of the Nikkor lenses made since 1977 without any lens modifications, both with manual and with autofocusing lenses. A 12 MP FX sensor does pretty well across a wide spectrum of shooting situations, and is not super-critical about the lenses mounted on it. There are over 70 million Nikon-made F-mount lenses in circulation, so you ought to be able to locate four or five of them for your own use.

Thank you! The first response I've gotten where I didn't feel attacked for daring to go from a D7000 to a D7/800 lol.
You make a good point.

This is another thing you don't understand. People don't NEED to replace camera bodies as technology "progresses."

My primary body is from 2006, it's a 5D Mark I and it puts out great images. My SECOND body is a 5D Mark II from 2008, which also puts out great images.

Yes, yes, thank you, you may move along. I'm more interested in conversing with the people that do not feel the need to insinuate that I'm an idiot. :)

Yes, yes, thank you, you may move along. I'm more interested in conversing with the people that do not feel the need to insinuate that I'm an idiot. :)

I'm not insinuating that you're an idiot. I'm insinuating that you don't know what you're getting yourself into with the D800... Which it appears you don't, nor would I expect you to.

As Derrel mentioned, the D700 would be a MUCH BETTER IDEA than the D800 for you... Even still, I'd invest in glass prior to getting a new body. But that's me.

I'm not insinuating that you're an idiot. I'm insinuating that you don't know what you're getting yourself into with the D800... Which it appears you don't, nor would I expect you to.

As Derrel mentioned, the D700 would be a MUCH BETTER IDEA than the D800 for you... Even still, I'd invest in glass prior to getting a new body. But that's me.

The D700 is also a consideration (as I thought might be evident given the title of this thread - clearly I was wrong).
I don't think "knowing what I'm getting myself into with the D800" is really an accurate statement though. It's a camera, not a king cobra. Let's be real here.

Anyway - I will be investing in glass prior to upgrading the body regardless, all things considered. My first few purchases will likely be a 50mm f/1.8, an 85mm f/1.4 and a few decent accessories: the SB-910 Speedlight and the battery grip. Those are the 4 things I'll be buying prior to making a body upgrade.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The D700 is also a consideration (as I thought might be evident given the title of this thread - clearly I was wrong).
I don't think "knowing what I'm getting myself into with the D800" is really an accurate statement though. It's a camera, not a king cobra. Let's be real here.

This is what I was talking about... You don't know what you're getting yourself into.

It's a different beast to shoot. It has MUCH MORE resolution, so camera shake, and crappy glass will make itself known very quickly... Especially if you're looking to crop your images.

There's a reason that Nikon introduced a PDF full of literature about how to use the D800 purely because of the fact that the sensor is of such a high resolution.

If you don't know how to use a camera, hold a camera, and have good lenses, the D800 will work against you. That's what I've been trying to tell you this entire thread. I've been trying to HELP you not HURT you.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en_US/o/Y6wrkA9OU_z04IreazIXl_22UII/PDF/D800_TechnicalGuide_En.pdf

How about this?
Many "pro" photographers prefer to have more than 1 body in the event of problems.
If you hold onto the D7000, learn it well and buy the pro glass then when you come to NEED the pro body any bugs that may arise with the D800 in use will be identified/ironed out. You may also find that through learning the D7000 you will better understand what your needs are and that will also help you make the decision on what to by. You may find a D4 is more suitable! You would also find some low usage used bodies on the market that would save you some money toward other items

This is just an alternative view, take from it as you will

This is what I was talking about... You don't know what you're getting yourself into.

It's a different beast to shoot. It has MUCH MORE resolution, so camera shake, and crappy glass will make itself known very quickly... Especially if you're looking to crop your images.

There's a reason that Nikon introduced a PDF full of literature about how to use the D800 purely because of the fact that the sensor is of such a high resolution.

If you don't know how to use a camera, hold a camera, and have good lenses, the D800 will work against you. That's what I've been trying to tell you this entire thread. I've been trying to HELP you not HURT you.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en_US/o/Y6wrkA9OU_z04IreazIXl_22UII/PDF/D800_TechnicalGuide_En.pdf

*sighs*

I give up. I don't know how many times I have to explain that I'm not new to Digital SLR cameras. I simply consider myself an amateur photographer. That doesn't mean that I haven't been using DSLRs for years now. It's not like I woke up yesterday and said "Hey - I think I'll buy a D800 tomorrow." The only drawback I'm having is that I'm transitioning from Canon DSLRs to Nikon, and I feel the need to learn the Nikon camera technology as deeply as I knew the Canon. Which is why the question is "Should I learn on the Nikon D7000 or the D800". That does not equal "complete and total idiot to the digital camera world".

How about this?
Many "pro" photographers prefer to have more than 1 body in the event of problems.
If you hold onto the D7000, learn it well and buy the pro glass then when you come to NEED the pro body any bugs that may arise with the D800 in use will be identified/ironed out. You may also find that through learning the D7000 you will better understand what your needs are and that will also help you make the decision on what to by. You may find a D4 is more suitable! You would also find some low usage used bodies on the market that would save you some money toward other items

This is just an alternative view, take from it as you will

Yes, I'd taken that into consideration (the multiple bodies). To be honest, that is the one reason I DO want to hang on to the D7000. I'd like to keep it as a "backup camera". I already know that one day I'll buy either the D700 or the D800, it's just a matter of when really. Do I want to have the D7000 as a backup? Perhaps... it's crossed my mind. And is a good, valid point.

And yes, considering this is my first Nikon camera, it is possible that a different pro-grade body would suit me more. You're right! Well thought out. Also taken into consideration. :) Thank you!

Its pretty clear the OP wants a FX camera.

Usually when someone wants something bad enough an internet forum isnt going to help you.

You asked for advice but its clear you know what you want.

New bodies come out yearly. Good lenses last 10+ years.

I have a d7000 and over 3k worth of mid-good glass just waiting for a FX when ever im ready. But still the d7000 only works better with good glass so its a win win for me.

But do what you want, its your money

also keep your d7000. for the $900 or so you would get for it, its worth it to have a backup. no worse then having thousands of dollars worth of lenses ready and your main FX camera poop out on you....

Last edited:
I woud keep the D7000 (great body.. I have one!).. and spend that money on lenses. As mentioned.. the D800 will be difficult to "learn" on.. since the high resolution will require perfect technique! You would be much better off using the D7000 with some good lenses, and upgrading bodies after you have mastered the 7000.

I have ordered D4 also... but I already have several top of the line Nikon lenses. They work great with the D7000.. and will work great with the D4 (or D800). Lenses are more important than the body!

You state you have been shooting for several years... please post a link to some of your work. Would love to see it.. and it would also allow us to form better opinions of your current ability.

Thank you! The first response I've gotten where I didn't feel attacked for daring to go from a D7000 to a D7/800 lol.
You make a good point.

You might want to go back and read your first replies from an objective outsiders read. You were given reasons why staying with the D7000 was worth it and you completely dismissed it. You first said you weren't concerned about glass and then backtracked and said you wanted a few good lenses. You're getting a D800. Awesome. Can't wait to see your images!

If I had a D7000, here's how I'd spend my tax return:

24-70 2.8
70-200 2.8 VRII

2- AB800's
1-AB1600
cybersyncs
1- portable power pack
Sekonic L-358

Open Facebook business page.

[/thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.