What's new

Woo-Hoo! Casting Shot!

Designer

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Apr 13, 2012
Messages
18,505
Reaction score
4,853
Location
Iowa
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was assembling a machine and noticed that the two bearings were different. One was tapped for a grease fitting, but the other (pictured) was not. I took this picture in anticipation of sending it to the company that made it or perhaps the store. The reality is that nobody really cares to know their mistakes and they're not interested in making corrections.

Anyway, here is the shot. Window light only. I attempted to show that the hole was not threaded. So does that work o.k.? As to the disposition of the part, I bought a tap and tapped it myself so I could finish assembling the machine.

Smaller file size of previously posted image:

$DSC_0001 - Version 2 (1).webp



The grease fitting installed:

$DSC_0002 - Version 2.webp


This is the machine I'm building:

$DSC_0007 - Version 2.webp


The motor bracket was not square:

$DSC_0012 - Version 2.webp


And I have to re-engineer how the motor bracket is bolted on because their bolts interfere with the drum cradle:

$DSC_0006 - Version 2.webp
 
Last edited:
The lighting looks good to me. I can see the hole in the front quite well. Unfortunately, I have no idea about the rest. "Grease fitting" and "threaded" are just not in my range of experience.
 
Thank you! Most people are not going to care about the parts, but since I am not sending the photo to the complaint department, I thought I'd see if the lighting in the hole was o.k.
 
Looks fine to me. You can clearly see it's not threaded.

Looks more like a hub or carrier to me though than a bearing ;)
 
It works; in the full-size version it's clear that the hole is not threaded (FWIW, it looks like the correct size and 2 seconds with a 1/8 NPT tap should have it threaded for a small Zerc).
 
Bump for new pics.
 
Very cool project!

Thanks. Building this (and buying it) is the start of many happy days mixing and carrying concrete. I have to fix my basement wall, and perhaps a concrete patio, and maybe some walks.
 
Oh, I get it now; a casting couch. ;)
 
let me guess. made in china?


honestly, looking at that machine, im having doubts it will serve your needs. Neat "design" but id consider calling the truck in for anything more than a couple yards
 
Very cool project!

Thanks. Building this (and buying it) is the start of many happy days mixing and carrying concrete. I have to fix my basement wall, and perhaps a concrete patio, and maybe some walks.
You do know you can have the stuff delivered... ;)

Ah, yes, I am aware of that. I have to patch up about 6 feet above the floor, so even if I could get the concrete down there, I would have to build heavy forms and bracing.

I thought about hiring a pumper to pump the concrete from the street into my basement (no smart remarks, please) but considering the weight of concrete, I would have to hire a small army of college students to wrestle the hose.

So I figure if I do this a little at a time, the formwork won't have to be so heavy, and the cost of the machine can be recouped when I sell it.

Yeah, I know, I don't do things the normal way. But I tried to hire a contractor to fix the wall, and got only one to show up, and he didn't offer a bid.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom