Woody Woodpecker visits

Nice shot. Must be hungry. They normally peck for insects in tree bark (I think).

Nice set, Jeff. I see the red-bellied variety around here more than any other woodpecker. I've only seen one pileated.

Nice shot. Must be hungry. They normally peck for insects in tree bark (I think).
Thanks! They eat seeds as well as insects.
Nice set, Jeff. I see the red-bellied variety around here more than any other woodpecker. I've only seen one pileated.
Thanks!

Peanuts! I detect some peanut pieces in your tube feeder, Jeff. Woodpeckers love them, in my experience. They do go after some larger seeds, too, but those peanuts are like nectar to the hummingbird. :)

Peanuts! I detect some peanut pieces in your tube feeder, Jeff. Woodpeckers love them, in my experience. They do go after some larger seeds, too, but those peanuts are like nectar to the hummingbird. :)
I'll probably see more of this one then. The Jays seem to like them as well. The cage around the feeder is spring-loaded, so the squirrels can't pilfer the peanuts.

I've spent lots and lots of time observing and photographing the Red-Bellies.
The ground-feeding birds loved them because they would often sweep their heads back and forth, blasting seeds all over the place, looking for peanuts.

But if you really want them and other woodpeckers to come around, put up a suet basket.

I've spent lots and lots of time observing and photographing the Red-Bellies.
The ground-feeding birds loved them because they would often sweep their heads back and forth, blasting seeds all over the place, looking for peanuts.

But if you really want them and other woodpeckers to come around, put up a suet basket.
I have a suet basket up that is dominated by the Starlings. Trying to get a shot of them fighting each other for dominance on the basket.

I have a suet basket up that is dominated by the Starlings. Trying to get a shot of them fighting each other for dominance on the basket.

I got shots at the starlings with the SS2000 a.k.a. the StarlingSlayer 2000, a single shot, break-action pellet rifle....

They're invasive to North America and should all be turned into fertilizer.

All shots are good but I love #2 where the smaller bird is mid-flight.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back