woooo hoooo !!!!!!!!

If she's heading into a career I'm betting its something along the lines of portraits/studio work (not certain as there are many other areas of course) but if that's her line then she'll fast be wanting to put money into lighting gear. One bonus of going to college though is that many will have their own camera gear and studio setups so she should be able to rent some of the gear from them that she needs - she might also get discounts and such through the college at local/chain shops.

As for crop factor, the image itself will appear in the viewfinder (that is part of what the SLR part of the name means). However if you take a single lens, for arguments sake lets say a 50mm lens, and put it onto a 35mm and then a 1.6 crop camera and, without moving your position (ie distance from subject to camera remains the same) then the shot taken with the 1.6 crop camera will (and this will be visible through the viewfinder as well as on the final photo) appear differently. In comparison it will appear more like a photo taken with an 80mm on the 35mm camera instead of a 50mm (80 being 1.6 times longer than 50).

This is because the crop sensor is smaller than the 35mm and as such captures a smaller part of the image circle made by the lens, the outer areas are simply not seen by the camera at all. As a result the photo appears more "zoomed" in. Note that the photo itself, will still be the same size (pixels are still pixels) when comparing cameras of the same MP rating.

Note also that, correctly speaking, the focal length hasn't actually changed at all, its the angle of view that has changed as a result of the difference in the size of the recording (sensor/film) area - however in common talk most understand it best by thinking that the crop sensors give a longer focal length view.

What you see in the viewfinder is pretty much what you're going to get - but the field of view is much smaller than you would be used to going from full frame (film) to crop sensor.

You put a 50mm lens on your film camera, then try to put it on the crop sensor digital body, and now it's too long. You have to take like 5 steps back to get the same framing. Shooting indoors, you can't always take 5 steps back...

oh.. not cool..

i'm already complaining because when i want to shoot indoors or when i want to shoot buildings or landscape, i get mad that the 28mm isn't wide enough.

i've been looking at wanting to get something more like an 18 or 14 mm.

heck, i was even looking at the cheapo wide angle (not fisheye) screw on lens to go over the existing lens, like a filter would.

but i figured at 17 bucks, im probably not going to get the results i wanted.

i was happy to see some of the kits i was looking at came with 18-55 instead of the 28-55 i have now..

ok. duh.

so the image is cropped when compared to the same image on a 35mm film or a full frame digital? hence, a crop sensor?

let's put it even simpler, to see if my brain is comprehending this....

is it kind of like watching a 6:9 movie on a 4:3 tv without letterbox.. and the sides of the movie are cut off?

as for the little one...

she doesn't know yet what she wants to shoot. animals, landscapes, people, buildings. she's only been shooting since christmas.

her first school photography class isn't until her senior year (shes a sophmore now)

she wants to go to school for graphic design and/or photography.

but she's still got 3 years to make up her mind (and of course i try and lean her towards something more practical like nursing, with photography on the side)

but ultimately it's her choice, and i will support it any which way.

and, a lot can change in 3 years.

iirc, i THINK she mentioned that she wanted to shoot people. i'm pretty sure we had that conversation, because my response was "hey, just like dad!!" and she said "no, with a camera not a gun" :gah:

good, cuz im seeing batteries for between 5 and 10 bucks each and i'm seeing chargers for around 10 bucks as well.
So when do you officially get to get them? My money doesn't come until the 7th :(

same here. the 7th or the 8th for my deposit.

and i wont bid or buy anything until money is in hand.

nothing worse than buying something and then for some reason the deposit gets delayed.

could i wait.. perhaps even just another month, and get better bodies, or even complete kits..
no.
any other person could.
but not me..

my ocd won't allow it.

i made a plan, i have to follow it. there's no way around it. a plan can't be broken.

i wish i could explain just how deep and strong that feeling is. it truly is not an option to break a plan, or share a camera.

it's not about what smarter or better, it's about how the brain works.

and i KNOW that will cost me money and time in the end..

but it doesn't matter.

+1
I *knew* there was a reason I like you, naptime.
I resemble that remark. :lol:

For 2 digital bodies around $600, I will look for Rebel XTi. I sold mine about a year ago for $360, so I am sure around $300 (or maybe less) you should be able to get one use. Just pay attention on the shutter actuations of the camera body. Try not to get one with high mileage.

But it is hard to know about the shutter counts in XTi. I believe only Canon can read that information on that camera. If you find a decent XSi (450D), XS (1000D), 40D or 50D, you can use this program to check the shutter actuations.

astrojargon - EOSInfo

As for the shutter life (it is for reference, it doesn't mean the camera will die after passing that number), from what I read on the net, Rebel XTi or earlier models are around 50,000 while the XSi (or newer)and the XXD are 100,000

So a shutter counts of 30,000 means differently between the XTi and XSi. While one pass half of it shutter life and the other one just around 1/3.

But then again, people reports they shot more then 50,000 times with XTi without problem. However, it is something to consider.

As for low budget wide angle zoom lens, you can see if you can find the used 19-35mm f 3.5-4.5 AF lens that works in both the Canon digital cropped body as well as your film camera.

I believe the lens is made by Cosina, but you maybe able to find it under different brands such as Tamron, Tokina, Phoenix, Promaster or Vivitar. Just make sure you get the Canon mount with AF.

I bought mine used for $75.

Photography is much more glamorous than graphic design. Everyone wants to be a graphic artist. They all think they'll be working for some sexy NYC design firm.

They end up laying out real estate advertisements for ten bucks an hour in a smelly newspaper office twelve hours a day.

... nope. not bitter at all.

Photography is much more glamorous than graphic design. Everyone wants to be a graphic artist. They all think they'll be working for some sexy NYC design firm.

They end up laying out real estate advertisements for ten bucks an hour in a smelly newspaper office twelve hours a day.

... nope. not bitter at all.

are you having breakfast at burger king? They don't even sell fries this early man !! :lol:

she doesn't even want to work for a big fancy firm, doesn't even know about them yet.

wants to work for herself like dear ol dad .

my cousin just finished up 4 years at design school. Spent a year running his graphic design company......

and then joined the army and went to airborne school. Because his graphic design wasn't paying his rent.

now he's in Italy.

are you having breakfast at burger king? They don't even sell fries this early man !! :lol:

I'll have to take the internet from my own cold dead hands! It's a standoff between me and myself! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

(Lo hasn't called the internetz yet. The account is in her name. But that makes me sound more like a sissyboy.)

I have enough MRE's and Artillery to last a lifetime BIATCHES!!!!!!!!!!

I would try to go as new as possible and not worry so much about fully new bodies by Xmas. I think the right rebel will do you two for quite sometime. I'm happy with my t1i and find the controls and ISO performance to be all I need and don't plan on upgrading until the body croaks. Too bad the t1i hasn't come down yet

I've decided on 450d/XSi new enough, and nice enough features. 12mp. Should last us this year or longer. Fits our budget without being too old.

price will also allow me to get some extra batteries and battery grips.

Great! And one good thing about XSi over XTi is XSi has the Spot Meter!!

crop-factor-15x-KEN_5023.jpg

Fair use.

Sows the difference between a croppy and a full frame.

There are some canon / adorama coupons at dealnews.com . Scroll down to cameras and read the coupon instructions. It changes daily but the coupon is good for a little longer than that. Good sale sight. I have bought through their links several times.

Have Fun, Mick

Sounds like everyone is getting some new accessories for their toys lol. I have my eye on the 70-300mm for my nikon, perhaps I will invest with some starter lighting equipment. And thank you Lightspeed for the "KIS" definition of what's the difference between a cropped and a full frame sensor. Now I know.........

Most reactions

New Topics

Back