TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
civil-war-1.jpg

civil-war-4.jpg

civil-war-5.jpg
civil-war-3.jpg

Finally successful albumen prints. (Civil War re-enactment; Huntington Beach CA, 2006)
These are double coated albumen, sensitized by floating on 15% silver nitrate for 2 minutes. Exposed 1'30" in midday So Cal sun. Washed in clear water 5 minutes, fixed 5 minutes in Sodium thiosulfate, washed in clear water 40 minutes, then toned in Selenium toner for 3 minutes and finally washed for another 40 minutes and dried.
Not bad for starters...cant wait to do more.:)

D&mn, that's the kind of stuff i want to do! Did you scan negatives and make negative transparencies, or use a large photographic negative?

Keep up yer handmade photography!

I made digital negatives printed on an Epson R320 (5 x 7)...some from scanned neopan 100 and 400. Some are from digital files. I use Pictorico OHP for my negatives, although I have used standard transparency film from Staples with good results for Van Dyke process and Cyanotype. I highly recommend Dan Burkholder's digital negative book. I don't claim to understand the highly technical stuff he talks about but the book is a great place to start and for a resource.

So far I'm all self taught, I haven't found any classes or seminars in my area or price range. I did a paper on Albumen process in college photo class a few years ago and then I went to Bostick and Sullivan's Platypus party last summer met a guy there who had acutally made some and was inspired to try it.....and here are the results.

I have about 60 images of Civil War re-enactments that I would like to eventually print in this process.

The total dream is to get a 8 X 10 field camera, bad hair day hood and all, and take "real" photos.

albumen..... as in egg white??

YES, EGG WHITE..(SORRY ABOUT THE SHOUTING, I'M WORKING IN AUTOCAD...BUT SNEAKING SOME FORUM TIME IN)

Wow..thats some awesome work!

Wow! They were reenacting the battle of Huntington Beach?! (Sorry, I couldn't resist.) The photos look terrific, by the way. Excellent work!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back