Workflow Help For printing Online

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Need some guidance on how others upload their files to online photo labs for prints. What you use, process etc. Walk me through what you do.

I mainly use lightroom, but I'll take a bit more care to get the details correct particularly when it comes to sharpening and NR sliders. Then I'll soft proof with the labs ICC colour profiles and output a jpeg at the size and ppi I want, do a final check and upload. The Lab I use has a program with all their products in it so I use that to specify the options then upload and order from there.

I have noticed that the Lab I use do up to 5 free printed samples to help you proof, which I'm planning to do soon.

output a jpeg at the size and ppi I want,

So this is where I'm confused. In LR are you doing this prior to export or at the export screen?

Are you cropping prior to export?

output a jpeg at the size and ppi I want,

So this is where I'm confused. In LR are you doing this prior to export or at the export screen?

Are you cropping prior to export?

I'll do it at the export screen. And yes, crop is prior to export and I do it as part of my normal editing workflow.

So last night I was getting an image ready to print, it's already been edited to the point where I'm reasonably happy, so I'll check the aspect ratio (already a 2x1) and that was fine for a 30x15 so I soft proofed, then export as a 30" on the long edge, 300 ppi 100% quality and output sharpening for matte paper and standard.

for a 30x15

Ok, I'm on the same page now. I tried to see if there was a way to use the publish function, but I haven't found anything on it.

30x15 is a fairly large image, who are you using online, I need to get some 36x24's done?

A 30 x 15 would be printed on a sheet of 30 x 20 paper, then the excess blank paper is trimmed away by the lab.
But 36 x 24 is the next standard 3:2 aspect ratio paper size.
Mpix and the other Miller's Lab online outlets have 36 x 24 C-print paper.

Each labs web site shows what paper sizes they offer.

It's a big lab close to me, I pass by on my way to and from work Professional Photo Printing Services | Loxley Colour

Mind I'm in the UK though and I don't think they are an international company.

Publish function looks more like a way to directly upload to a website. I'll need to have a wee look into that!

I've used Loxley for years though I've been out of the game a while now however I think you register and download their FTP program or just use email. My son's now got into it so I'm trying to refresh my memory on this stuff, Loxley printed all my pro album work and did sometimes make the odd mistake but a phone call usually had them send out a replacement pic in the next post, they are a quality firm imo though if you're doing all your own processing in PS including colour correction etc make sure you tick the link on their order page that you don't want any correction because if not they will auto correct by default which will pretty much put your shot back to how it left your camera. If you're not correcting colour and not using monitor calibration then leave the tickbox blank so they do correct for you.

Most reactions

Back