Working with Videographers

ClarkKent

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a couple of questions for those wedding photographers that encounter videographers. I recently photographed a wedding that I was refered by the videographers, and for some reason we kept clashing. As I was doing my part...formals and such, they were requesting that I give them 15 seconds more so they could video the pose. Secondly they wanted to follow me in everything I did, and when we left the church we had some down time in between so I made my way to the reception hall with everybody else to do some scouting and set up there while we had the extra time. The videographers went somewhere else (unknown) were they went. So the bride and groom show up, and so I started to take photographs. Well the videoographers then got mad and stated that I should have said somthing to them that I was doing this.

So here were some of my replies to them. For the formals, I told them that I had to keep moving because we are on a time element, and when you interfere with that, I am going to say that you need to please wait until I am finished. When the videoographers want them to hold the pose even longer...its taking away from my time with the couple in getting more images done. And maybe its just me...but it seems they are taking advantage of my work.

Secondly, for them wanting me to tell them everything I am doing when I am being asked by the bride or groom to photograph something, I was like, I can't be your babysitter. If you want to capture those moments, then you need to be there when they ask, and not shopping at a store.

So I was just wanting to get some of your thoughts on this. Thanks

ClarkKent

As annoying as they may be at times I think it is something you just have to deal with. One thing you have to remember is the B+G paid as much or more for them to be there as they did you so it just another vendor that you have to cooperate with. As far as them being ready for you too freakin bad they are suposed to be profesionals like you if they got lost on the way to the reception or stopped a Mickey Dee's for a burger that is not your propblem. It is not your responsibility to wait for them I am sure if the situation had been reversed they would not have waited for you. Also to bring it up to you like that was about as unprofesional as it gets. Generally in my experince people have given a lot more defrence to the still photographer so you should be OK in this area. I did though, have a wedding once where the video people (yes there were 2 of them) were being as annoying as possible I mean, far beyond the usual So bad that I felt I had to mention it to the B+G and they turned around and told me "you need to defer to the video people my Mother paid for you and I really don't care about the pictures so stay out of their way" well needless to say this pretty much ruined the day for me I did what I could to cover things as best I could but really was not happy. I also used to run into a videographer (probably 4-6 weddings mabye more) here and there who during the first dance would mount is camcorder on a giant wheeled tripod with a spotlight like the ones they use in prisons and circle the B+G like a vulture from about 5 feet pretty much destroying any possible romance in the moment. I guess I could go on and on with storise like this ut I think the important thing is to just put up with it as much as possible as he is alos pasid to be there.

I feel a tad responsible to say something since I'm a videographer: we're not all bad. During formals I am fully aware that it's the photographers time and mostly hang back to catch more candid shots. My theory is that the formal poses are best suited for photo, and the role of video is to catch the smiles and laughing between shots so they can remember the process of taking the formals. I mean, what's the point of having a posed photo and the exact same shot in the video? Also, I am always aware of where the photographer is during the ceremony. I don't get in the photographers shots and so far the photographers have returned the courtesy. In fact, I have never had a bad experience a photographer.

I will say, though, that I don't believe that recording video of the photo session taking advantage of anyone's work.

As for the lighting, I always ask the bride and groom if they would like on-camera lighting with a 10/20 watt light. I show them the light so they know how bright it is, and show them an end product with and without and let them make the call. I do try to stand as far away as I can while still getting a stable shot - on a scale of 1-10 how big of a pain is the on camera lighting?

The videographers in the original post, however, I can't speak for. It's their responsibility to know the schedule and know where they should be. And it does bother me that some videographers act like that giving the rest of us a bad name. I would recommend writing them off as just jerk videographers that you come across once in a while - like you occasionally come across a jerk officiant, or a jerk MC, or a bridezilla, or any other vendor that is less than professional.

Well as a supplement to my post I have worked with alot of very professional videographers alog with the bad ones I named.

I feel a tad responsible to say something since I'm a videographer: we're not all bad. During formals I am fully aware that it's the photographers time and mostly hang back to catch more candid shots. My theory is that the formal poses are best suited for photo, and the role of video is to catch the smiles and laughing between shots so they can remember the process of taking the formals. I mean, what's the point of having a posed photo and the exact same shot in the video? Also, I am always aware of where the photographer is during the ceremony. I don't get in the photographers shots and so far the photographers have returned the courtesy. In fact, I have never had a bad experience a photographer.

I will say, though, that I don't believe that recording video of the photo session taking advantage of anyone's work.

As for the lighting, I always ask the bride and groom if they would like on-camera lighting with a 10/20 watt light. I show them the light so they know how bright it is, and show them an end product with and without and let them make the call. I do try to stand as far away as I can while still getting a stable shot - on a scale of 1-10 how big of a pain is the on camera lighting?

The videographers in the original post, however, I can't speak for. It's their responsibility to know the schedule and know where they should be. And it does bother me that some videographers act like that giving the rest of us a bad name. I would recommend writing them off as just jerk videographers that you come across once in a while - like you occasionally come across a jerk officiant, or a jerk MC, or a bridezilla, or any other vendor that is less than professional.

Thanks...that was what I was thinking. I have worked with one or two videographers...and you are right, not all of them are bad.

Question for photographers & videographers: has anyone upon contracting for the wedding talked to the bride & groom and ask what they prefer for the photographer and/or videographer and as to what they wanted photographed first (I guess as priority)? Or do the photographer and videographer arrive and guess as to what will take place. I have seen a couple of weddings where you can see that they get in each others way sometimes. I have never done this before and was just curious.

I recently photographed a wedding that I was refered by the videographers, and for some reason we kept clashing.

Hehehehe.

Sorry, my friend... but, I have to snicker.

REMEMBER.... if you're doing what I taught ya, the bride and groom have agreed that YOU are the "exclusive, official photographer" and all others are permitted at YOUR discretion.

Now, I'm not suggesting that you abuse this position. It does no one any good to introduce tension of any sort into the event, especially someone else's wedding. In 30 years, I've never had to flex my muscles on this issue. ON OCCASION, I have let others know they should "play nice," and I get to decide what "nice" is. But if you ever HAVE to do this, KEEP IT LIGHT. I sure don't want anyone to ever recall that I spoiled ANY minute of thier wedding day.

And... the video folks are just trying to get thier job done too. I draw the line only if they prevent me from fulfilling the promises I made to the bride and groom.

I think it all comes down to having the right mindset. I go with the idea that I'm there to serve, so I try to keep the best interests of the couple first and foremost... ALL of their interests.... including the flippin' video.

Good luck!

-Pete

Hehehehe.

Sorry, my friend... but, I have to snicker.

And... the video folks are just trying to get thier job done too. I draw the line only if they prevent me from fulfilling the promises I made to the bride and groom.

I think it all comes down to having the right mindset. I go with the idea that I'm there to serve, so I try to keep the best interests of the couple first and foremost... ALL of their interests.... including the flippin' video.

Good luck!

-Pete

Oh absolutely. I would never try to ruin a moment with bickering about a videographer. I was just wondering what everybodies experiences were.

I work with video on almost every wedding, and here is how I approach it:

If it's "still action", I take presidence. If it's "true action", I'll shadow the video guy. It's always something I discuss with the video people before hand. I give a little, they give a little and we all get our jobs done.

Take first dance for example. That's "live action", so I shadow the video guy. He circles, I circle, just beside him.
Cake shot....I'm on whatever side he's on. Same with garter and boquet.

I've had only two who tried to crowd me, or not work with me. This is where my backwards flash comes in very handy. I jump in front of them, and blast flash like nuts. They will stop crowding you in a hurry. :)

We all have our jobs to do at the wedding (coordinators, church ladies, video, florists, djs), and you will always find your job much easier if you work together.

And, if you work well with the other folks, not only will the b&g get the most for their money, but you will also have lots of wedding industry folks recommending you.

Happy Shooting!

Most reactions

Back