Worklights from hardware store?

^ Lighten up and read the first post. It doesn't appear that the OP is looking to impress anyone, rather just trying to boost lighting a bit. No wedding photogs will be harmed.
That is correct. I'm not an aspiring professional, just a guy looking to improve indoor lighting for the purpose of taking better pics.

A shoplight against a reflective surface will expand your horizons a little, but soon you'll be itching to move on to something more powerful, more comfortable and less cumbersome.

You might consider an inexpensive flash and wireless trigger system like this:
Yongnuo YN-460 YN460 Flash Speedlight/Speedlite for Canon Nikon Pentax Olympus Sony | YongNuo photo equipment online store
Yongnuo RF-603 RF603 Flash Trigger | YongNuo photo equipment online store
That's a lot less expensive for a flash than I had imagined. I assume an inexpensive flash like that is still much more powerful than the flash on my m4/3 Panasonic G3?

I guess boosting indoor lighting with fixed lights seems easier than using a flash for a newb in the sense that I can see how the light bounces off the subject. But maybe I just need to spend the time and learn to use a flash.
For that you need fast lenses
I've heard people argue both sides of this. I.e., some say you need fast lenses, and others say a kit lens with good lighting is more important than a fast lens. Not sure what to think.

That's a lot less expensive for a flash than I had imagined. I assume an inexpensive flash like that is still much more powerful than the flash on my m4/3 Panasonic G3?

I guess boosting indoor lighting with fixed lights seems easier than using a flash for a newb in the sense that I can see how the light bounces off the subject. But maybe I just need to spend the time and learn to use a flash.

I've heard people argue both sides of this. I.e., some say you need fast lenses, and others say a kit lens with good lighting is more important than a fast lens. Not sure what to think.

Not only more power, but the speedlight can be bounced and removed from the camera thereby giving you more potential for artistic expression.

Some professionals use "modeling light" to "preview" the shot, but you can also just practice a lot and make your best guess. The pros do it to save time, and they have the modeling lights built into their strobes.

A fast lens using "available light" is one type of photography, and directing light is another type. What the heck, learn both!

Not only more power, but the speedlight can be bounced and removed from the camera thereby giving you more potential for artistic expression.

Some professionals use "modeling light" to "preview" the shot, but you can also just practice a lot and make your best guess. The pros do it to save time, and they have the modeling lights built into their strobes.
What's a strobe light? Same as a flash/speedlight?

In this case, I was referring to a studio strobe, often called a "monolight". This kind of strobe has more power than the portable "speedlight" which is usually powered by batteries.

(edit) Both kinds are "strobe" lights. In strobe lights, both studio and flash attachments, the power is stored in a capacitor, then directed to the tube, which then flashes. The result is a lot of light delivered in a very fast flash.

In this case, I was referring to a studio strobe, often called a "monolight". This kind of strobe has more power than the portable "speedlight" which is usually powered by batteries.
Thanks. Since I'm just looking for in-home lighting, maybe a studio strobe is a better fit for me than a speedlight. How much do basic studio strobes go for?

Fast lens you can blur any crap in the background, work lights is not good lighting

Thanks. Since I'm just looking for in-home lighting, maybe a studio strobe is a better fit for me than a speedlight. How much do basic studio strobes go for?

I don't know. Just start looking around. Does your camera have a sync. connection? I bought an adapter for mine that fits on the hot shoe. If you don't want to run a small sync. cable from your camera to the flash units, you can also get a radio trigger that will fire them remotely.

In case you are just now realizing that the cost of shooting just went up, you can start saving up, look for used units, or try the work lights.

If you're taking posed shots then a tripod or a beanbag on top of something would be better in this situation than having the equivalent of a campfire in your room.

Your subject can stay in the same place a lot longer than you can hold your camera still.

I get my lights for portraits from a hardware store when I start getting my dates from the there
bigthumb.gif

No, you cannot purchase photography strobes for anywhere near $20. Too many neophytes attempt to use regular lighting fixtures in an effort to save money, only to have less than ideal lighting for photography.

I will advise you to start saving up for either a speedlight or a studio strobe.

I did awesome portraits with just a flash light. Thats less then $20. It is called light painting and it takes practice but one you get the nack of it it can create some awesome photos. For instance see this video to see what I am refferring to. It really takes a talent to do and is very fun to do also.

Last edited by a moderator:
and this is a little more large scale but is amazing if you really want to make it different.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back