jeffashman

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I pulled out my Sigma 105mm Macro to get a shot of this old watch that I have from an era gone by. Were those simpler times, or is it just a faded memory? Detente, it's something we need in this World badly. I can read Cyrillic, normally, but I'm having a challenge with the stylized Cyrillic on the watch (Mir kVorts?). It's been obscured, but on the bottom it says "сделано в СССР" (Made in USSR). What does this shot need? Is there a such thing as a tripod that lets you slide the camera up and down (closer and farther) for close up shots? Manually focusing is a challenge for my eyes.

jan10202201b by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

I've got a macro focusing rail that fits on top of my tripod, something like this:

I've never actually used it, but it should allow fine tuning of focus distance.

I've got a macro focusing rail that fits on top of my tripod, something like this:

I've never actually used it, but it should allow fine tuning of focus distance.
Thanks for the info! Looks nice. Wonder if there is one with a arca Swiss foot. Will do some research.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Nice shot, Jeff. Here's a macro focusing rail and Swiss arca plate that I bought off amazon. The plate is fairly long and works well for my rail. I don't know if you use it hand held but with the rail try using 'Live View', it helps a lot, you can really dial in the focus.

Thanks! I'm looking at the JJC MFR-3; it looks like what I need since it has the arca mounting system.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I discovered that the telephoto lens on the Samsung S21 Ultra makes a pretty good macro lens:
51825485723_fc95b7a09c_b.jpg

No,that's not the real thing. It's a copy of a 1960s-era Chinese Air Force pilot watch.

Nice shot.
Thanks!
I discovered that the telephoto lens on the Samsung S21 Ultra makes a pretty good macro lens:
51825485723_fc95b7a09c_b.jpg

No,that's not the real thing. It's a copy of a 1960s-era Chinese Air Force pilot watch.
Yes, the iPhone 13 cameras are pretty decent as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back