Worse than GAS - the Endless Upgrade

chuasam

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I would like to think that I am well past the Gear Acquisition Stage. I have this endless upgrade. It is worse. It is actually almost legitimate and not chasing some high.
Difference? One is gear for the sake of gear...one is objectively going to improve your situation.

Larger screen, faster computer, blah blah.
What is your current "need?"
I'm looking at the Lacie 10TB Thunderbolt..Ooh I need it so much.
Firewire800 is really not cutting it anymore.

After that I want the Nikon 85mm 1.8G because it is just that much better than the 1.8D

Beans, sprouts, cheese ... it's all GAS whichever way you look at it, I think! ;)

but let me see ... I want to upgrade from MBP to MB as I don't see me carrying it around much more.
I want to upgrade my camera bag so I can fit just the right amount of stuff into it.
I want to upgrade my AC so I can connect it to the upper floor.

Oh, so many upgrades to little time - and although none of those are "upgrades" - they're all still acquisitions ;)

My current upgrade goals are lenses

Tamron 28-75 to Tamron 24-70 VC
Tokina 12-24 to Nikon 16-35 VR F4
Tamron 70-200 to Tamron 70-200 VC

oh and I want to upgrade my ride lol. My 2010 WRX just isn't right for me anymore, thinking about getting a SUV like the Mazda CX-5

After-GAS syndrome is the sign of either insecurity or perfectionism. Having looked at your website I think it is probably the latter.

Perhaps the worst part of GAS is the damage it does to ones' credit cards. After I moved from a point and shoot to a used 30D, within a year it was a 60D, and within a year it was L lenses and 5D mark iii. Fortunately, I have enough 'credit power' that it's not a problem.

Upgrading my computer was a bit slower...new mobo, processor, RAM, etc every 2 years for the past 6-7 years. As I build them myself, I can get what I want, although it soon ends up being no longer near instantaneous response in Photoshop or Lightroom. So now, I'm just starting into overclocking. At the moment, my 4.1 ghz quad processor is running 4.7 ghz. But now I'm looking at either water cooled or liquid nitrogen cooling and more fan power, to get past 5.0 ghz...

By the time I get 'fast enough', it'll be time to upgrade glass, body, bag......

I recently upgraded my 2009 MacBook Pro to a fully loaded 2.7GHz iMac because I was spending too Much time in the work flow portion and I was taking suboptimal shortcuts because my computer wasn't up to processing so many photos. I wasn't able to render and edit simultaneously.

My camera is being replaced only because I have clients constantly asking if I can add a small video component, and my shutter count is past its replacement point. Plus the new camera has a native ISO 64 which allows me to use studio lights and yet shoot fairly wide open.

I'm upgrading the 85 1.8D to something with multi coating possibly nano crystal because a regular client loves the high key look and I find myself constantly shooting into the light.

I have all I need, could probably do with some more Rodinal

They call it Adonal now. I've never Really shot on b&w film outside of school. Old timers say I lack the reverence for the silver based stuff.

After the second semester of photography, i hopped over to digital because of the cost savings. Fuji Neopan acros 100 was my favourite though.

They call it Adonal now. I've never Really shot on b&w film outside of school. Old timers say I lack the reverence for the silver based stuff.

After the second semester of photography, i hopped over to digital because of the cost savings. Fuji Neopan acros 100 was my favourite though.

Some they call Adonal, the one I get is supposed to be nearest to old formula and is R09 by Compard

Most reactions

New Topics

Back