Upgrade and give mine away or buy new for friend and lens for me?

Lieniitte

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ello, all! :)

I have a few options on what to do, but need some advice. For the life of me, I can't decide between an upgrade or not. Sorry for the length, it's a bit more complicated than yes or no and at least all the info should be here :D

Reason for the dilemma - My friend, A, gave my friend, B, her camera. Samsung NX1000. Friend A was perfectly happy with it for everyday shots of family. Friend B wants to get a bit more artsy and do more than she can with the Samsung. Friend A says wouldn't mind buying the same camera she already had again. So, with my reasoning... Friend B can simply give the Samsung back to friend A and I will give my Canon 600D to friend A instead. Friend A is just staring out with manual and all that. And I will upgrade my 600D to something a bit better.

Though, I am happy enough with my Canon 600D. I would love to get something with a much better image quality, but I don't get paid for my work yet and I don't make prints. I hope to someday though, as I love doing photoshoots for people, but I don't feel confident enough of my skill to take money and promise that something will come of it, though I want to get to that point. I will upload a couple of shots of my photos showing what I like to do with this post.
I also like night sky photography (northern lights are fairly common here).
The friend who needs a camera is a complete beginner, but shows talent, who wants to take pictures of her toddlers and family and do it in an artsy way.

The deal is that I can either:

1. buy myself an upgrade from my 600D and give my friend the 600D (would probably have to buy a walk around lens too, since both of us would need one, though, tbh, I don't use mine too much anymore), or

2. buy her an entry level Canon DSLR (she has tried Canon and liked it best) and buy myself a new lens using the extra money (I realize I would have to use a bit more money in this case).

I would just do option 2, but I sort of see this as a chance to upgrade from the 600D. Because as long as I am spending money, why not upgrade something for myself as well? But research online tells me that the 70D isn't much better image quality wise anyway. And to get better than 70D I would have to go full frame and for now, I can't spend that much on the body. If I ever start getting paid for my work, I will probably go full frame and sell anything I already have.
But a lens upgrade wouldn't be bad either, so I am torn.
I don't take photos every day. Every week or every other week, yes. Started about 3 years ago.

The lenses I have are:

Canon EF-s 18-55 kit lens (rarely use)
Sigma 30mm f1.4 (mainly use this for everything including outdoor portraits, but have been told it's too wide for people photography)
Canon EF-s 55-250 (only used this lens 2x in the 3 years I have had it,)
Canon EF 50mm 1.8
Canon EF-s 10-22mm

So what option should I choose and what camera/lens would you recommend in each option?

Option 1. If I give my friend my 600D and upgrade my camera, what camera should I buy and is it any better than the 600D? What walk around lens that's not too expensive should I buy with it? I was looking at the Canon 15-85, but it is costly for a lens I won't use toooo much. And I have the 10-22 for the wide angles.

Option 2. If I buy my friend a new entry level DSLR, what model is ok for a beginner? I haven't been following the newer entry level ones. And what lens should I get myself for what I do if her camera ends up not being too expensive? An 85mm 1.8? I am perfectly fine with my 600D for now for myself unless there's some nice other option, as I will be upgrading at some point anyway, simply the need for another camera came up now.

And budget, well, since it's mainly because of the gift for my friend, I don't want to have a strict budget. But I'd like to not pay more than the price of maybe a 70D and an ef-s lens put together. That's the most I will go probably, but would like it to be less. Don't know the prices exactly, because in this country they're very different and used is harder to get unless they ship worldwide.
I am open to options, but one thing is for sure - a camera body will be bought either way.
Thanks for taking the time to read :)

An example of my photos and what I do:
2 resized.jpg 4 resized.jpg 8 resized.jpg 9 resized.jpg

Last edited:
That does sound very nice to have 2 slots, especially since I once lost all my vacation photos due to the card literally breaking.

But I already have Canon lenses and would prefer not to have to replace them. And my friend also has mentioned that she likes Canon, she has tried mine on multiple occasions. Plus, if she had a Canon, I could lend her any lenses I have already or may purchase in the future.

Sorry that I forgot to mention this!

I'm a Nikon user, and don't really know Canons, so I can't help with the issue of whether there's a Canon upgrade between your current body and FF that would work for you.

However--Since it sounds like ultimately your goal is to do portrait work for pay:
What about sticking with your current setup, buy your friend a used one like yours that HAS a lens with it--then sell your your 18-55 and your 55-250. Use the rest of your funds to buy a new prime lens, like maybe an 85mm f/1.8, and a speedlite flash or two.
You will NEED to learn flash if you are going to do professional portrait work, so why not take that interim step now and give yourself something to work on for the next year or so?

why can't your friend buy her own camera? Let your friend worry about her own camera needs.
Why not you focus on your own skills/equipment?

Judging from your shots, you are well on your way...but you're not going to necessarily get better IQ from getting a new camera. Develop your skill, save your money, and buy only when necessary.

I'm a Nikon user, and don't really know Canons, so I can't help with the issue of whether there's a Canon upgrade between your current body and FF that would work for you.

However--Since it sounds like ultimately your goal is to do portrait work for pay:
What about sticking with your current setup, buy your friend a used one like yours that HAS a lens with it--then sell your your 18-55 and your 55-250. Use the rest of your funds to buy a new prime lens, like maybe an 85mm f/1.8, and a speedlite flash or two.
You will NEED to learn flash if you are going to do professional portrait work, so why not take that interim step now and give yourself something to work on for the next year or so?

Thanks for the advice! That's actually not a bad idea. I don't look into used cameras much, because they're not widely available in this country and worldwide shipping is not always an option and when it is.. the prices are outrageous! But I will spend some time searching for an option like that!
I do have a cheap Metz 44 AF-1 flash that I bought when just starting out. I would go to weddings and sort of follow the photographer from a distance, watching what he does and trying it myself. :D But it's a cheap flash it kind of broke and glitches often. NOT safe. IS there any specific Speedlite you would recommend? I thought them too expensive when I just started out, but now might be the time :)
I don't know much about using the flash, because it started glitching so soon after getting it. I often got red skintones and red overcast from one side or the other when using it indoors, training it on the ceiling or walls. Will have to figure all that out too.
Tried wrapping a painting in aluminum foil and putting it in diff places once, some shots worked out nice, but I never figured out what I did right and what I did wrong. When the flash broke, my experimenting ended.

why can't your friend buy her own camera? Let your friend worry about her own camera needs.
Why not you focus on your own skills/equipment?

Judging from your shots, you are well on your way...but you're not going to necessarily get better IQ from getting a new camera. Develop your skill, save your money, and buy only when necessary.

Thank you, I appreciate the compliment!
I am buying her a camera, because she is a good friend and has 2, soon to be 3 small children and she loves photography and is extremely artsy, but her family simply doesn't have the funds for anything better than a cheap point and shoot.
When we meet and I have my camera, she always takes a few turns with it and shows a lot of talent, at least in my opinion! I thought it would be a nice gift :)

Thanks, yeah, I will definitely be working on skill. I just always get extremely motivated when I see the super sharp photos from a 5D Mark II or III and an expensive lens.. but yes, I am very happy with my 600D, for now. Don't need those expensive ones. Yet. :D

Yongnuo flashes are a third-party, less expensive option and have a very good reputation. I have one, and I know a few who do portrait work for a living who use them.
Really, get a flash (or even two--you can get several Yongnuos for the price of a single Canon flash), then get a reflector, maybe a light stand and a softbox and start learning about lighting options with flash. You'll have plenty to learn with that setup for a while, and in the meantime, you can then be saving for the move to FF.

The 70D is a nice camera but if you like the EOS line, consider the T6s. It may be a possibility as a replacement at a reasonable price. (Besides you can get the kit with the new 18-135 kit lens and give your friend the 18-55 that you have.)

The 70D is a nice camera but if you like the EOS line, consider the T6s. It may be a possibility as a replacement at a reasonable price. (Besides you can get the kit with the new 18-135 kit lens and give your friend the 18-55 that you have.)

Thanks for the reply! I hadn't even seen that model! I might have to look into it now, though me and my friend ended up deciding that the 100D will be great for her, it's cheaper, smaller (easier for her since she has small kids) and it can be bought new here for the price of a used 600D or something similar. Plus we will get her a portrait lens, probably the cheap, 50mm 1.8 by Canon.

And I will get myself the 85mm :)

For now, this seems like the best option. Does anyone have any thoughts on this combination?

We were deciding between the 40mm 2.8 pancake and the 50mm 1.8, but it seems the 1.8 is just better for portraits, even if it's not as sharp.

Thanks for the reply! I hadn't even seen that model! I might have to look into it now, though me and my friend ended up deciding that the 100D will be great for her, it's cheaper, smaller (easier for her since she has small kids) and it can be bought new here for the price of a used 600D or something similar. Plus we will get her a portrait lens, probably the cheap, 50mm 1.8 by Canon.

For now, this seems like the best option. Does anyone have any thoughts on this combination?

We were deciding between the 40mm 2.8 pancake and the 50mm 1.8, but it seems the 1.8 is just better for portraits, even if it's not as sharp.

the 50mm 1.8 and 85 1.8 both work for portraits and are inexpensive, the 50mm 1.8 mkII is around $50 (used) so get that and see how it works. If you want wider you could consider the 40mm or the Sigma 30mm 1.4 or 28mm 1.8, etc.

60D
50mm 1.8 mkII
f2.5

16618061398_4a339f5f95_b.jpg

the 50mm 1.8 and 85 1.8 both work for portraits and are inexpensive, the 50mm 1.8 mkII is around $50 (used) so get that and see how it works. If you want wider you could consider the 40mm or the Sigma 30mm 1.4 or 28mm 1.8, etc.

60D
50mm 1.8 mkII
f2.5

16618061398_4a339f5f95_b.jpg

Thank you for the recommendations! I guess we will have to see what she likes best. She's coming tomorrow and will be staying with me for a month. Maybe we will buy the 85mm and try it out, since I already have a 50mm 1.8 and I like it, but was thinking of getting the 85mm one, but I don't know how much the quality differs. I guess if we buy that one and both try them both out, we will see which one suits who best and then figure out who gets which lens. :D

I also have the Sigma 30mm 1.4 (not Art), but it's a bit on the soft side. Even after sending it in with my camera for calibration.

Though I am guessing she would rather get the 40mm, if it's ok for portraiture, because she will be mainly taking pictures of her kids and probably won't want to get too far away from them, they are 3 and 4 years.

Above your picture, you wrote 50mm 1.8 mkII. Is there a newer edition of the lens? Or has the mkII already been out for some time? I've never seen that mentioned anywhere. Do you know if the 85mm 1.8 is better with picture quality than the 50mm one?

Thank you for the recommendations! I guess we will have to see what she likes best. She's coming tomorrow and will be staying with me for a month. Maybe we will buy the 85mm and try it out, since I already have a 50mm 1.8 and I like it, but was thinking of getting the 85mm one, but I don't know how much the quality differs. I guess if we buy that one and both try them both out, we will see which one suits who best and then figure out who gets which lens. :D

I also have the Sigma 30mm 1.4 (not Art), but it's a bit on the soft side. Even after sending it in with my camera for calibration.

Though I am guessing she would rather get the 40mm, if it's ok for portraiture, because she will be mainly taking pictures of her kids and probably won't want to get too far away from them, they are 3 and 4 years.

Above your picture, you wrote 50mm 1.8 mkII. Is there a newer edition of the lens? Or has the mkII already been out for some time? I've never seen that mentioned anywhere. Do you know if the 85mm 1.8 is better with picture quality than the 50mm one?

the 50mm mkII has been out for years

the 85 1.8 is better for portraits. And if you already have the Sigma 30mm 1.4 non-art make sure you're not confusing sharpness with "depth of field" which is pretty narrow with the larger apertures

60D
Sigma 30 1.4 non-art
f2.8

16810724132_49c4b0c844_k.jpg

Most reactions

Back