Worst. Lens. Review. Ever !!!

Jaemie said:
It's a crappy photo, whatever the method. And clicking it only opens a same-sized image. WTF?! :p

But I want a T/S lens so badly.

Do you kiss your mom with that foul mouth?

You guys will find anything to complain about won't you ;)

Eh its just a user review and opinion - and yeah product shots are not everyones skill (heck they should be the most simple to get right and yet can present any number of problems and difficulties when one actually tries to do them). Like others I'd focus on the shots with the lens (which look significantly better). But I wouldn't get heated up about it or anything - just another opinion and review of the many to either choose to take into account or choose to put to one side.

if you want a good photo of the lens itself then you can utilize google...

and trust me... i know exactly what this lens is capable of. i didn't care to talk about the scheimpflug principle though I guess i could have mentioned it. i've used it plenty of times...

http://payload.cargocollective.com/1/1/50734/2276746/12-1_905.jpg

i wrote the review from the perspective of a portrait (mostly). i also didn't talk at all about straightening parallel lines or its landscape/architectural applications. there are other reviews on the net where those have been talked about, and far less where the t/s lens is used in the portrait application.

however, i've used it in those other applications countless times. when you shoot hundreds of thousands of photos a year you become intimately familiar with all of your gear.

sorry the review didn't satisfy your curiosity and that the photos of the product itself are burning holes in your eyes. perhaps i'll revamp the post at some point. i think i wrote this up along with a batch of 3 or 4 other reviews because my new site was launching at the time.

Most blogs are regurgitated, useless, blather in an attempt to get ad clicks.
Pick a couple reviewers that have proven their expertise in a particular subject and treat the rest as nothing more than mild entertainment for idle minds.

can you link to a photo taken using Scheimpflug principle please?

and please... not this
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/images1/24mm-pc/tilts/D3R_5249-tilt.jpg

I
n the end a tilt-shift (or freelensing) is mearly changing the focal plane. who cares that the "Scheimpflug" principle specifically refers to a planar subject that is not parallel to the image plane being completely in focus. Unless i'm missing something and Scheimpflug is something more than that?

Last edited:
What is wrong with Rockwell's example?

Typically when we talk about Scheimpflug the point is to reach the maximum sharpness by skewing the DOF in a ay which corresponds to the subject plane. If you think of DOF like a box with two parallel sides, tilting the lens changes this geometry to be more trapezoidal or wedge-shaped, allowing a larger portion of the subject to be covered within the sharpest portion of the field. If sufficiently skewed that the far boundry of acceptable sharpness is parallel with the Z axis of the subject plane, everything will be completely sharp.

In your example, it would appear that you swung the lens in the Y axis, which permitted selective sharpness. Scheimpflug geometry certainly does apply, but not in a way that corresponds with the subject plane. If you *tilted* the lens in the X axis then it may have been possible to get the whole image in focus, provided that the lens had adequate movement - which I kind of doubt. This of course is not what you had in mind, but it's not really how photographers think of when they talk about the Scheimpflug principle.

You don't need to know all the math involved with the Scheimpflug principle, I don't, but to utilize it you ought to understand the basic geometric principles. Here is a good read I can suggest with lots of examples:

Focusing Tilt Shift Lenses

i gotcha. nothing wrong with rockwell's example... i'm just trying to stress that i do actually understand the principle. just didn't realize Scheimpflug was specifically about maximizing sharpness

nice link! much clearer explanation of tilt shift applications than my stick figure, but again... that was meant to explain it in a portrait application with selective focus only

i gotcha. nothing wrong with rockwell's example... i'm just trying to stress that i do actually understand the principle. just didn't realize Scheimpflug was specifically about maximizing sharpness

Well, certainly the same geometric principles apply to selective focus. But when we talk about Scheimpflug it's usually about sharpness.

I have some philosophic reservations about using a t/s lens for selective focus, for me it's throwing out information - selective focus should be performed in post. But, I also can appreciate why someone would do this optically.

But can you shoot as good as Sam, Solarflare?

I use it (may also be called the Hinge Rule in most cases) all the time in product photography, whether with large format or with a D3. I have all three current PC-E Nikkors, and they have their limitations - they do show asymmetric chromatic aberrations when shifted or tilted, and these aren't always easy to remove. They also have a fixed relationship between the tilt and shift axes - you have a choice of two fixed angles - parallel or at right angles. The Schneider, Hartblei and some Canon T-S lenses don't have that restriction.

Guys, of course I dont need a good picture of the lens. How did you even get that idea ?!?

Its simply a case of bad first impression. Why should I care about the opinion of someone who is so clueless about photography that he publishes an out of focus picture. I mean I dont think I'm very knowledgeable about photography either, but even I would spot that one.

Ooookayyy how you manage to understand how Scheimpflug works without understanding what its good for it beyond me, but whatever.

how do you pronounce Scheimpflug, anyway?
I'm a german, I have no trouble whatsoever spelling the guy like he spelled himself. :D

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back