Would it make sense to up/downgrade from a D700 to a D600?

invisible

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.federicobuchbinder.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a D700 and someone wants to buy it from me. With the money I'd make selling the old trusty, plus about $350, I'd be able to get a D600.

What would I be losing in the exchange (other than the $350)? Or better yet, would you do it?

Thanks for your help.

Never mind, I've just found out that the D600 has a few issues that I'm not willing to put up with.

/end thread

I'd be interested in hearing what scared you away from the D600.

Oh, it's all heresay!!! If you run in to the problem, just send to Nikon!!

Yeah....a handful of Amazon buyers...

Check out the Nov 23 and Nov 27 commentaries on the D600.2012 Nikon News and Comments by Thom Hogan
I was not dismissing the camera at all. It's just that if I do go ahead and switch, I want things with the D600 to be smooth as they are with my current camera.

Anyway, do you guys have any thoughts on my proposed up/downgrade?

I have a d600 and I think its a great camera. I haven't had any problems with mine as of yet. The resolution and dynamic range are awesome. It also has pretty good noise performance. The autofocus could definitely be better but its not terrible. I haven't used a d700 but have heard great things so it's hard to say what's better.

Switching from D700 to D600 is definitely a mixed deal.

+ better sensor: twice as much megapixels and slightly improved quality (better low ISO performance, dynamic range, and color resolution)
+ video capabilities (and quite decent ones, too)
+ U1/U2 quick access buttons for fast reconfiguration of the camera
- reduced build quality
- no longer a pro grade autofocus like the D700/D800/D3/D3s/D4; also lesser metering
- very small area for AF
+ AF for f/8 lenses (i.e. telezoom with converter)

P.s.: Oh, this is of course not meant to be any complete.

P.p.s.: The sensor dust issue doesnt bother me much. Many people dont have it. And for those who have it, it will vanish after a while (nikonrumors claims about 3000 shots). What really bothers me about the D600 is the narrow field of AF points. What use it is to have a lot more AF points than on my D5100 if they got distributed in such a stupid way ?

Last edited:
BTW I've held the D600 but without a lens. To me it doesn't feel as "muscular" as the D700, but it doesn't feel that much less well built than a D700. The only thing I was a little disappointed with was the knobs. They feel really cheap. Otherwise it's pretty decent, certainly better than most Canons I've held.

I only has a chance to test both at Nikon show room. the 600 feels more plastic and cheap. I want to believe technology wise, it should be superior since it is new. But the oil thing is something that would need to verify before going into it.

Coming from the build of your D700 to the D600 you might not like "the feel" of it.
Hold one and see what you think.

Most reactions

Back