Would like some feed back on my early portraits and some recent ones.

AmericanJesus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Would really like just any feedback i can get, I've decided to go into portrait, i love communicating with people so makes sense to me! I prefer black and white, there are no colors to distract you from seeing the person, it brings out more features i think just because there aren't any colors to distract.

Good friend of mine.
RyanHimself.jpg

Black and White or color? This was my first portrait of someone i picked off the street, he happened to own a surf shop located in the Freamont neighborhood of Seattle.
Surfer.jpg

Surfa2.jpg

one of the girlfriend id love some feedback on.
Liza2.jpg

And another good freind of mine. Also my shooting partner, always good to have someone watch your back when your shooting, can get tunnel vision looking down the viewfinder and don't catch everything thats going on around you.
David31of1.jpg

High School friend of mine, very nice guy always reliable. Also a joker.
Trevor1of1.jpg

Best friends Boyfriend.
Shaetony3.jpg

Best friend.
Shae1of1.jpg

Id just really love feedback, i want to improve. Thank you for your time

are you shooting film?
i like the grain in the girlfriend shot a lot.

The last one is good too, just watch your midtone levels since its a bit dark. All of them could use more post processing work. Though most of them just seem like snapshots.

are you shooting film?
i like the grain in the girlfriend shot a lot.

The last one is good too, just watch your midtone levels since its a bit dark. All of them could use more post processing work. Though most of them just seem like snapshots.

Digital. And thanks, what makes them feel like snapshots? should they be posed?

nah, not posed.
just because it looks liek you pointed and clicked.
the one of the best friends boyfriend has no real expression on his face. its too dark too blue and dead centered.

the high school guy could be better if it was post processed.

the surf guy is just a typical snapshot of a guy smiling.

the first one has a weird crop, i think.

i think the last one and your girlfriend are the best, like i said. can you see what sets those apart from your others?

nah, not posed.
just because it looks liek you pointed and clicked.
the one of the best friends boyfriend has no real expression on his face. its too dark too blue and dead centered.

the high school guy could be better if it was post processed.

the surf guy is just a typical snapshot of a guy smiling.

the first one has a weird crop, i think.

i think the last one and your girlfriend are the best, like i said. can you see what sets those apart from your others?

Specifically, they are women? xD

Im not sure actually. And i just got my first fixed lens, the first one isnt cropped at all, thats how it was taken =\. I was trying my best to work with what i had.

No problem with working with what you have. Limitations are the strongest learning tools you have. Do your best. Shoot a lot and look at a lot of photos.
I think what has been said is that it look like you shot with out putting much thought into what the final picture would look like. It takes practice to previsulise, but it puts that final polish on.
Two great shots out of several ok shots is a winning persentage.
JS

I would add to the last comment, be aware of your light at different angles, move around and avoid back light as much as possible, unless you are going for that look. I think the black and white photos are nice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back