Would like some feedback!

mswgirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone! I've been dabling in photography (mostly architecture and scenery)for some time now and have recently started doing portrait photography. I would really like some feedback on this session. This was my very first indoor session... Please keep in mind that I would classify myself by no means as a professional(yet) but would love some feedback on things I can do differently! :)

preggers.jpg

preggers2.jpg

preggers3.jpg

preggers4.jpg

I think overall these are pretty nice.

In the first one, I'm not really wild about the angle, and there should be a little more space at the top b/c the guy looks like he has to scrunch in to be in frame. I might be tempted to use the healing tool in PS to minimize the stretch marks as they look like bear claw scratches.

2) Nice traditional shot but I'd like to see more of his face.

3) nice moment. I'd remove the hard shadow and would've like a little more of big sister in the shot.

4) Same as 2

5) good shot, but needed a little more light as mom's hair is lost in the BG.

6) nice shot but a reflector or shadow fill flash would've really improved it. Also a little more of the belly blossom.

Again, pretty decent shooting.

I agree with the previous poster. Here are some of my thoughts as well:
Overall, I think the dreamy gaussian blur thing is a little overkill in these. But, part of that is just my taste.
They also all look a tad red to me. Especially in the first.
1.) The angle is a little much and you chopped off her fingers at the bottom.
2.) Lovely moment! There's little too much negative space on the right. I think you could've included a bit more of Mom. But, I like that you didn't crop out the little girl's arm in this one. You might want to try brightening it some. It looks a little too dark.
3.) I think that angle works better here than in the first. But, I would have had her place her hands gently over his. They look a little distracting where they are. Be careful where you are cropping. It's a little to close to the edge imo. Also, try having him bring his face forward more or step a little more to the right to capture more of it so it isn't so hidden behind hers.
4.) Same thing as the last. Have her hands over his. I love the hands making a heart over preggo bellies shot though. So cute:)

And, when I do maternity sessions I clone out stretch marks. You could always ask her what she wants though if you are unsure.

Good job overall for your first indoor session!

Overall the people in the portrait need better posing direction; (a posing photography book would help with this) the Dad is leaning in and has a "crunched" appearance and appears to not be very excited. Both parents arms are cut off, The woman's belly has huge stretch marks I would get rid of in PS, the mans face should show more since the man is equal to the concept of this image, it takes two....I would have never had them wear black with a black background unless you separate the two using a hair light or lit the backdrop. Little details, like the blond haired little girl, her hair looks like a mess, you should have had dad brush it while they are in that position. The last picture, when ever you’re showing hands as the primary focus, fingernails should be perfect. The second shot the woman is to far to the left, if you frame this picture she will be behind the edge of the frame. Always remember the end use and how the photo could be used even by a family member who receives it as a gift.
I think it's a decent enough copy of what you've probably seen on web sites or your friend’s photos. Generally I'd say, this looks like some friends who wanted some free pics and you wanted a portfolio piece to show, they probably don't have much money and wanted to help out a friend, if it sounds like expereince talking it is...:wink:

Don't forget angle of the person's face, how close you are to them and using the right lens.
4/7/08

Most reactions

Back