What's new

Would like your opinion

emagana02

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 13, 2010
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking into getting 3 Lenses. I am currently looking at getting the Canon 10-22 F/3.5-4.5, Canon 17-55 F/2.8 and Canon 70-200 F/4

I will mainly be shooting Landscape. Do you think having the 10-22 and 17-55 is a good idea?

I just put a order for the Lee Holder Kit, and will need to purchase the adapter ring. I noticed that there are two different versions of the Adapter Ring. Since both use a 77mm Filter would I just need to purchase one or do i still need both of them?


EDIT: Just incase you were wondering, I will be using a 7D body.
 
Get just the Adapter ring for wide angle lenses. Will work on the others just fine. The wide angle adapter is a shallower adapter to help cut down on possible vignetting. Although on the 10-22 you will get some vignetting anyway towards the wide end. You might save some money and look into the Sigma 10-20f/3.5 (or 4-5.6 older version) or Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 wide lenses vs. the Canon. Both have very good followings. I have the Tokina 11-16 myself in Nikon flavor. The Tokina 11-16f.2.8 would match up very well with your 17-55 f/2.8.
 
I have also looked at the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8..it seems to be a bit more flare prone..but i do like that its a f2.8. How loud is it when focusing?
 
I have never really paid attention to how loud it is. All but 2 of my Nikon lenses are body driven so I am used to hearing them some. I have never really had a flare problem with the Tokina. I have run into some very light CA. Which was fixed in post. But have not run into any flare problems (yet anyway). I have had it about 2 years now I think. I do use the hood, but its really not much of a hood. More for dropsies and bumps protection.
 
I will have to do some more research on the Tokina 11-16..i like that it has a constant aperture of 2.8, but i like that Canon has an USM. which makes it quieter..but i guess for landscape it doesnt really matter, lol.

What would you say the "sweet" spot for the tokina? How sharp is it when you stop it down to about f/11?
 
Actually the lens is very good for anything above 2.8. Your into the the sweet spot by 5.6. I think the lens tests I have seen show it to be f/8 going by measurements. But its been awhile since I have looked. I would say the lens is very sharp from f/5.6 to f/16. I don't really go any farther down.
 
Thanks for your input..it has been very helpful! B&H has it in stock for $599.. i might go ahead and do that. Plus I wont be overlapping 11-16 then 17-55 plus the constant 2.8 on both lens..only if i could afford the 70-200 2.8! lol
 
I own pretty much all the lenses you originally listed and it's about the best combo you can have for a 7D (besides swapping then 70-200 for a 2.8). I'd say they are entirely worth it. You really can't get much better for crop body lenses. I use my 17-55 more than anything else, but I absolutely love the 10-22.

Edit: Also, this link (Juza Nature Photography) helped justify my purchase of the Canon 10-22 over the competitors.
 
Last edited:
I just pulled the trigger on the Tokina 11-16 f2.8..I would love the 70-200 f2.8 but thats too much right now.
 
I just pulled the trigger on the Tokina 11-16 f2.8..I would love the 70-200 f2.8 but thats too much right now.

Congrats on the purchase! I don't think you will be dissapointed.
 
Thanks! I hope so too!!! Now all i need to do is save up for the 17-55 F2.8, 70-200 F4.

Waiting for my Lee Filter Kit, and my Loka bag! They need to be in stock already! haha
 
I think your choice will be an excellent one. Looking from the Canon 10-22 review, it seems to be a great lens.

The 17-55 lens will compliment it well.
 
I am looking into getting 3 Lenses. I am currently looking at getting the Canon 10-22 F/3.5-4.5, Canon 17-55 F/2.8 and Canon 70-200 F/4

I will mainly be shooting Landscape. Do you think having the 10-22 and 17-55 is a good idea?

I just put a order for the Lee Holder Kit, and will need to purchase the adapter ring. I noticed that there are two different versions of the Adapter Ring. Since both use a 77mm Filter would I just need to purchase one or do i still need both of them?


EDIT: Just incase you were wondering, I will be using a 7D body.

Since you mention landscapes, I'll share on observation. I once went thru Ansel Adams' book on how he made 40 of his most famous photographs and calculated which lens he would have used had he taken the shots with a modern dSLR. A large proportion would have involved a 24mm lens. I concluded that the man had wide-angle vision.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom