Would love any advice!

Kaytlin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys! Im a teenager looking to get into photography. Now I know this site is probably filled with great photographers, with great cameras, with tons of experience, which is the exact opposite of me. Im looking into getting the Nikon D3100, so any advice on that would be great. Im really just looking for some advice about everything. I have researched for a while now, learing as much as possible, and by now I at least know the basics if not more (with me I never stop researching...I still read about stuff even if I know everything in it! Im just like that, I have to be prepared! haha). Currently I really dont have any pictures, as im typing this on my laptop and all of the pictures I took and worked with on photoshop are on my other computer :er:. I think i have a few I took a while ago, no editing, before I even THOUGHT about photography. So...I dont know, I thought I should at least put something in here :lol:.

EDIT: Here are the pictures I took only a couple days ago, I did end up going to my other computer :lol:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67576323@N07/
(it wouldnt let me load the pictures, so here is my flickr)

Last edited:
Kaytlin

Tell us what kind of camera you use, what lenses you have, etc.

My opinion is that a web forum is not the best place to get basic information.
Search for tutorials on the basic concepts, learn that and then come back with specific questions.

First learn your camera and learn the basics of the exposure triangle.
Then start taking and posting pictures.

Lew

(My granddaughter's name is Kaitlyn.)

Greetings, fellow grass hopper.

When the student is ready, the teacher will appear. At least they say so.

Research is good, I'm pro-research! But it only goes so far. You must try stuff out, see how it actually works. Welcome to the forum.

(I don't know anyone named Kaitlyn, so congrats)

i would say get the camera, go out and start shooting the things you like. then later you can worry about c&c and maybe getting a better camera. have fun.

Thanks for the advice, and right now my camera is not that great...meaning it one of the cheaper digital cameras everyone gets for their kids who want to take photos of their friends, im not sure what its called though. Its an olympus, and im fairly limited on it. I cant change anything except ISO, and then use the preset settings like sunset, indoors, animals, ect. I can take some fairly good pictures on it, which i will post when im done typing this, but the advice im looking for has more to do with C&C, not as much about cameras themselves. I have researched so much, I really think I cant do too much more (though knowing me, thats not really possible!). I would also like any good ideas for practice, so far I have only been able to take sunset pictures or animal pictures, and I know that photography takes practice and lot of trial an error.

Look at photographs on here, and on the interwebs, and decide "I want to try that". Get a little note book and scribble down interesting things to shoot. That's invaluable. Should you encounter someplace awesome which might have many subjects, note it down and return.

Here's one of the most important things you must remember (at least I think so):

Your background and foreground is equally important as your subject.

Paying attention to those is what makes you a hobby photographer instead of a happy snap shooter.

Thanks! I have been writing down interesting ideas, like playing with a flashlight and long shutter speed to get those cool light blurrs, or maybe using the main road to get the headlights/tail lights of the cars. Those are the two things I really want to do once I can get a camera where I can change the shutter speed.

Kaytlin said:
Thanks for the advice, and right now my camera is not that great...meaning it one of the cheaper digital cameras everyone gets for their kids who want to take photos of their friends, im not sure what its called though. Its an olympus, and im fairly limited on it. I cant change anything except ISO, and then use the preset settings like sunset, indoors, animals, ect. I can take some fairly good pictures on it, which i will post when im done typing this, but the advice im looking for has more to do with C&C, not as much about cameras themselves. I have researched so much, I really think I cant do too much more (though knowing me, thats not really possible!). I would also like any good ideas for practice, so far I have only been able to take sunset pictures or animal pictures, and I know that photography takes practice and lot of trial an error.

Welcome to the forum! Don't bash what you take pictures of especially if it's what interests you. I enjoy taking pics of flowers and the occasional animal and I thoroughly enjoy it ( the people on this forum are probably sick of seeing my flowers, lol). Take pictures of those things that interest you. Don't get overwhelmed with trying to start a business, senior portraits, weddings, etc bc that's what others are doing. Enjoy your hobby and have fun. You mentioned that your camera is a p&s. That's ok! Mine is too. Upgrade when you're comfortable. If you know the basics then practice those with what you have. It takes a great photographer to make a great shot, not necessarily a great camera, IMO anyway. Keep reading and learning. You will learn lots from this forum!

You say you've been researching, and that's good. In your wanderings thru the internet and/or books, have you learned and understood the meaning of:

-aperture
-shutter speed
-ISO
-how the three items above work together to form the "exposure triangle"
-Depth of Field (DOF)
-how aperture affects DOF
-how to use shutter speed to stop motion
-metering modes and when you want to use a certain one (spot, partial, matrix/evaluative,center weighted)

There's a lot more, but that's enough to start. Honestly, before you're ready to post pics for C&C, you should at least have some understanding of the above mentioned things. Without understanding the fundamentals of the photographic process and where cameras and lenses fit in with it, your progress will be very limited.

Thank you, and I already have learned a lot! I do love to take pictures of sunsets, they are by far the best thing to take pictures of in my opinion, because you really will never find a sunset exactly like another, and sometimes they are just beautiful. Im just saying that after a lot of sunset pictures, it gets a little boring, and when something is boring to me, it means I need to find something else to shoot or else im just not going to get a good picture. Animal shots are fun, but with a dog that cant sit still for too long, its impossible with a slow shutter speed, all I get are little black blurrs that are my dog :lol:.

Edit: sorry we were typing at the same time, I just now read your post. Yes, I do know what most of that means and what they are, the one thing I do need to read up on is metering modes. I have read a lot on all the others, and Im pretty sure I understand them.

Yes, I do know what most of that means and what they are, the one thing I do need to read up on is metering modes. I have read a lot on all the others, and Im pretty sure I understand them.

I would say you're off to a good start, then. The next step is to learn how to apply them. That's where practice comes in...

Ahh, sunset. Such wonderful things.

You'll do fine in here, I'm guessing :)

Thank you for all the site links! Trust me when I say that I will probably read every single one of them...and yess, i plan to practice, practice, practice, and practice some more, no matter which camera in using, actually, in a little bit, im going out to shoot a few more sunsets. I totaly agree on sunsets, im in love with them. Its almost impossible to mess up on one too :).

It's easy to get fine sunsets, but the inspiring ones are hard. Because so many like them and shoot them, it's hard to really get one that stands out. But that just part of the fun :)

Most reactions

Back