Would this lens be a good choice?

chris miss

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I'm fairly new here. I've posted 2 photos and read your posts daily to try to learn as much as possible. I have a Rebel xti with the kit lens, the nifty 50 f/1.8, and a Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro. I'm going to be giving my son the kit lens for the xti he's getting for Christmas, so I will have a gap in my small collection. I was considering the Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM Ultra Wide Angle Zoom Lens. I want to start getting some good glass and this seems to be within my budget (well, at the top). I can pick up a used one for about $80 less than new. Any reason not to buy used from a reputable dealer? And would this be a good choice to round out my slowly growing collection?

My next choice after this would be the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens because I think macro shooting would be fun. The Sigma really isn't a true Macro, but it's a good start to whet my appetite.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated.

The 17-40mm F4 L is a very good lens...and priced pretty well for an 'L' lens.

It would be a great improvement over a 'kit' lens. It's only down point is that it's limited to a max aperture of F4.
I considered that lens but went with the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 instead.

I had the exact same lens set up as you until recently. I upgraded my kit lens to the Sigma 18-50 2.8 which is a great lens for the price and i also got the 70-200 f/4. I hope to add a 1.4X converter at some stage.

I havent got any experience with the 17-40L but you really cant go wrong with any of canons lenses thats got one of them L's attached.

I would suggest that the Canon 17-55 f/2.8 might be something to look at too (cropped sensor camera lens) if you want something faster. Supposed to be an equal to L glass. It certainly costs a heap.....

the 17-40L is a pretty sweet lense, can go wrong with canon's l series, to small of a focal range for me but great for wide angle shots

Most reactions

Back