Would you like to be a beta reader?

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As some of you are aware, I’m working to become an author.

The last book I wrote- my first- was a “fine” first book, but was sort of a train wreck in the early phases, and ultimately had some major flaws and I decided it was not worth fixing. For now. I learned a LOT from this book and the wonderful people who helped me get it to where I did.

This NEW book is an urban fantasy. It is set in the "mythology" of Christianity. (I say that not to say Christianity is a myth, but only to make clear that this is the setting) It is edgy. and it is harsh. It deals with some very bad people doing some very bad things. It is probably not for the faint of heart. There is also some profanity and adult situations. It's... not a kid's book. :)

The book is currently in the process of being read by alpha readers. These are folks who have been charged with a quick read-through to just let me know their general reactions. What worked, what didn’t. Who they liked, who they hated. Any major flaws in the story or issues with inconsistencies, etc.

Now, however, I am gearing up for the beta read.

What are the specifics?

What I’m looking for is people who can devote a non-trivial chunk of time and effort to read the book- chapter by chapter- and give me specific critique. All of the same previous guidelines from the alpha-read apply, but this time it’s a no-holds-barred, give me both barrels, don’t let me get away with a single thing, kind of analysis. I’m looking for people who can spend several hours a week reading and giving me their thoughts in a quick email. I’ll make it as easy as possible for you, but it will take probably 4-6 hours a week commitment, and if you can spend more time than that, you'll be my hero. I’m looking to have this book in the hands of agents by March 1 if possible.

What’s in it for you?

Well… the reviews of the book so far have been pretty good. People have really enjoyed it, so you should have- if nothing else- a decent read. It’s a good story.

Secondly, my thanks- both in general, and plainly written. If it gets published, your name will appear in the credits as a key part of what made the book a success. By the way, all those who had helped me with the prior book will ALSO get a mention in the credits (as will all my alpha readers), because without having gone through THAT book, there would have been no way for me to make it through this one.

Finally, again if I get it published, I will give you a signed and personalized copy of the book when it’s done.

Are you interested?

If you are, send me a PM. I expect to have the first series of chapters out for review by the end of next week.

If you’re already an alpha reader and haven’t started or are behind…?

Well, I can send you an updated copy at the end of next week to alpha read from, or if you like you would be a huge help to me in flipping over to the beta read side of things. Whatever works best for you, and thank you!

Manny,

I'll help bump this up for you. I would offer to help, except for the fact that I have 4 books that I am currently reading all at once and am making no headway there. Good luck with the project and I will put it on my list of must reads.

Manaheim,
I'd be willing to give your book a read and provide some feedback. I tried to PM you but my phone would not let me.

Best,
Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manny,

I'll help bump this up for you. I would offer to help, except for the fact that I have 4 books that I am currently reading all at once and am making no headway there. Good luck with the project and I will put it on my list of must reads.

Thanks for the bump and the wish of luck! :) four books.. wow. lol

Manaheim,
I'd be willing to give your book a read and provide some feedback. I tried to PM you but my phone would not let me.

Best,
Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome. Thanks. I'll PM you!

Happy to assist.

I presume these will be emailed documents, which means I can stare at them from work.

I'll probably comment with grammatical errors too, being a semi-nazi on that stuff. But I'll also be honest and tell you if I am finding it difficult to follow / understand, as I am not really a fantasy kind of reader, but I am always willing to a) help and b) try something different.

Congrats on the progress.

Happy to assist.

I presume these will be emailed documents, which means I can stare at them from work.

I'll probably comment with grammatical errors too, being a semi-nazi on that stuff. But I'll also be honest and tell you if I am finding it difficult to follow / understand, as I am not really a fantasy kind of reader, but I am always willing to a) help and b) try something different.

Great, I'll PM you!

I would love to, especially since it's a second book and NOT a first one ;)

Alas, I have a 4 year old and a six month old so, after due consideration, I absolutely cannot commit to giving the book any reasonable effort. I might be able to read it, but that would be all - a pretty superficial read, and that does nothing for you.

Let us know when you get it published, though, and I'll buy a copy and give you an amazon review, perhaps even unbending enough to be a hair more positive than, strictly speaking, I should be!

Oh, Andy, too bad and sorry to hear. You were actually one of the people I was hoping would be interested... but I totally understand! :) TOTALLY. :)

Will definitely let you know if/when it gets published. Here's hoping. :)

I never learned to read so I am out ;)

But I fall into the same camp as Andy.

For those of you considering this: It's worth the time to at least read it! It is, as he says, "a decent read."

Chris: Comments coming today (well, maybe tonight), I promise. Nearly done with Part 3...

Happy to assist.

It is really not in my nature to "ignore" grammatical errors--I think I was born with the innate desire to fix punctuation and spelling. :D

However, I think a heads-up would be in order here: This book has NOT been copy edited yet; it's simply not at that stage of development. There would, therefore, not be much point in mentioning specific grammatical errors, but I believe what he would find much more useful at this point would be to let him know if there are places where sentence structure, dialect, etc. are making the story less "readable" for you.

:lol: runnah. :)

Sharon... thanks, yes. Wonderful points, all. And glad you still think it's a decent read. :) Very looking forward to your comments!

Most reactions

Back