Would you shoot a white subject in bright light at +5 EV?

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Someplace on flickr someone is complaining their Tamron 200-500 isn't sharp. They shot a white egret at +5 and blew the crap out of the highlights. The blown highlights are making them think the lens isn't sharp. They shoot a Nikon D300s and shot in manual mode at F8, ISO 800!, 1/4000th and +5.... I'm sure a forum argument will ensue. At ISO 800 DR is already reduced quite a bit on the D300. Am I missing something? I normally don't go over 1 or 1.33 in the same setting and keep my iso under 400... Just curious what the pros here will think.

I'm not a pro in any sense of the word, but HECK NO! I would not shoot a white subject at +5. If you spot meter on a white object, setting the EC to about +2 or +2.5 will generally make it look exposed properly as "white". +5 is at least 2.5 stops overexposed.

The first thing I would do is drop the ISO to 100 or 200 and then close down the aperture a bit if necessary. That would give the shutter speed some room to slow down (1/4000 is probably the top shutter speed on that camera).

Nope!! Why was he shooting at 1/4000th? Was the bird diving bombing or something? I don't know much about shooting birds, but 1/4000th seems a bit too fast. If he slow down the shutter then he wouldn't need to use +5ev. Then the ISO was too high to begin with also. I sure the D300 doesn't handle ISO800 as well all the new cameras out now.

Maybe the poor guy forgot to change the settings after another days shooting?

The only time I've used +4ev is shooting Infrared with a deep Red filter as the response of the sensor is much different from the camera's meter.

I'm missing something here. ISO 800, f/8 and 1/4000 is about right for full sun. It isn't +5, unless there are a few spare suns available nearby. Did they use lots of flash and high speed sync?

Yeah, Helen's right (unless all stars out to infinity were visible on Earth... :D). Sunny 16 would put the shutter speed at 1/3200 with f/8, so it's really not too far off.

I still wouldn't use ISO800 in full sunlight unless I had a good reason, or if I forgot to change it after shooting indoors (which may be the case here).

I'm not quite sure why they shot what they shot. Their counter point was look how good this car looks that I shot at 52mm and f11... meh, anyways, they had no idea what front focusing was either. I think I pointed them in the right direction. I wish we had a few extra suns available some days, that would be nice to melt all this snow... On sunny days I keep my D300 under 400 whenever possible.. geeze...

Most reactions

Back