lovetocreate

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, I'm shopping for a new lens and I was initially thinking I would buy a 200mm f/2.8L lens and then decided maybe I should get the 70-200mm f/2.8L (which is about $500 more) because it gives me a bit more range. I mostly shoot portraits (including headshots) which is why I was looking at those lenses. I've shot headshots with a 200mm lens and the look I get is unmatched compared to what I get when I'm using my 50mm or 85mm lenses.

One of my best friends suggested I get the 24-70mm f/2.8L and they'd do a trade with me by giving me their 16-35mm f/2.8 and 200mm lens because they could use the 24-70mm for filmmaking work. If I ever wanted to trade back I could and we'd put this all in writing. Would y'all do this? Am I crazy for considering this? Am I crazy if I don't do the trade? Part of me wants to just buy the 70-200mm lens or the 200mm lens like I was thinking initially. Plus the 24-70 is $500 more than the 70-200mm and $900 more than the 200mm. The lenses I currently own are 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8 and the 18-55 kit lens that came with my crop sensor dslr camera (canon). And there's this thing of feeling like the lenses are truly mine and this thing of distance since my friend and are live several states away from each other now. I love the 16-35mm and the 200mm lenses and have used them many times in the past, though not owned them as would be in this case unless I changed my mind.

I also plan on trying out some documentary style work in coming months through a course I'm taking but yeah....I'm torn. I want to help my friend out and help myself. Friend is basically financially unable to buy any lenses right now or anytime soon. Please help?! Thanks!

I certainly wouldn't. A 200mm prime is a pretty specialized lens. It's too short and lacks the flexibility for most telephoto work (events, sports, etc) but is too long for a lot of portrait work ('though it can deliver stellar results), and the 16-35 has no application whatsoever in portrait work. Based on your stated use, it sounds to me like the 70-200 is going to be the most beneficial, BUT... the 24-70 is probably the most useful general-purpose lens. If you're happy with the results from your 18-55 for the work its doing, than go for the 70-200.

Just get the 70-200mm. You will be much happier and will keep your friend by not doing the lens trade.

I certainly wouldn't. A 200mm prime is a pretty specialized lens. It's too short and lacks the flexibility for most telephoto work (events, sports, etc) but is too long for a lot of portrait work ('though it can deliver stellar results), and the 16-35 has no application whatsoever in portrait work. Based on your stated use, it sounds to me like the 70-200 is going to be the most beneficial, BUT... the 24-70 is probably the most useful general-purpose lens. If you're happy with the results from your 18-55 for the work its doing, than go for the 70-200.

Thanks for your insight and for helping me to decide. I'm going with the 70-200mm like I was thinking originally when I decided the 200mm may limit me a bit. I think I just got hung up on trying to help a friend but thinking of things in the long run I may end up unhappy with my decision if I did the lens trade and didn't honor what my creativity and goals were calling for.

Just get the 70-200mm. You will be much happier and will keep your friend by not doing the lens trade.

You're absolutely right. Will do. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Thanks for your insight and for helping me to decide. I'm going with the 70-200mm like I was thinking originally when I decided the 200mm may limit me a bit. I think I just got hung up on trying to help a friend but thinking of things in the long run I may end up unhappy with my decision if I did the lens trade and didn't honor what my creativity and goals were calling for.

right, a telephoto zoom in that range is much more useful

The fact that you are even considering trading off your normal zoom must mean that you don't use it that much. As for me, the 24-70 would be the last lens I traded. Only YOU can decide if this trade will be beneficial.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back