Wow... cheap lighting

Hmmm 3 seconds recycle time I personally cannot wait that long. It costs me too much!

Pete, General rule as you probably know, if it is cheap then there's something wrong or NOT very right about it. Be mindful of it if you choose to purchase it only b/c you might not realize it now but the negative aspects might byte you later on. (for example if you'll get into kids photography, slow recycling will definitely screw you over).

good luck

Very decent price. Would definitely want to hear from people who have used them. I'm kinda wondering why they ship with 2 extra fuses :er:

Quite a few people recommend these on "the big digital forum" lighting board. These are inexpensive because they are sold in the USA and the UK through Calumet, and made overseas where wages are,shall we say, low.Quite a few major flash manufacturers have experimented with an economy line, and had a big response. Today's speedlight flashes cost $450 each...nobody talks them down as being cheap or unreliable. Elinchrom has the D-Light series, and it is selling well. Paul C. Buff introduced its economy line, the Alien Bees, and those are selling well. Calumet's excellent Travelite monolights always sold for hundreds and hundreds of dollars, like $750 or so for the high-end units, but the entire Strobist movement is what it took to get these lower-cost monolights off the ground.

Until the whole strobist thing caught fire, there was almost no market for studio lighting gear outside of the true "pro" arena, but now we have MWACs and college kids who want to buy studio lights. Adorama has its Flashpoint series of monolights that start at $99 for a 150 w-s unit....people are buying these things left and right to use with their d-slrs. The market for low-cost monolights has grown exponentially over just the last three years.

Most reactions

Back