"Wow, you have a nice camera!"

You could just say "thanks, everyone is always quite impressed with my... tool. It's something that I am very proud of..."

I bet you get several raised eye brows... lol.

Look, seriously, it used to irk me a little too, but you have to understand... they do not have anymore understanding of photography than you would have of something that they specialized in.

We all dance to the beat of a different drum. Respect their comments, thank them... and move on. They were not being disrespectful, indeed, they were trying to be complimentary, nothing more. You cannot fault them for a lack of understanding nor their inability to construct the compliment to your standards.

How new are you to showing your photos to these people? It took me couple of years to
get past the "nice camera" comments. After my friends started seeing more and more of
my photos, we got past those comments and into the realization that I may have a teensy
bit of talent.

I don't think the "nice camera" comments will ever cease, but they have ceased from the
people I actually care to hear comments from...

Our equipment allows us to take a better quality photo in clarity and color, and when
you add that into a properly exposed, well thought out photograph, it makes for a comment
worthy image.

As a n00b I've got to say there is a lot for the camera.

I just bought an olympus evolt 510 to chronicle a vacation I'm taking.

I took photography back in college -- 3 credits of how to take black and white photos on a used pentax I bought for like $50.

So I know a little bit, but honestly not much at all. And I'm am amazed by the shots I'll take sometimes.

I'll dial in the camera to landscape mode, and magically it changes the f-stop and the shutter speed and the iso, and everything so that the shot is perfect -- the fstop gives me good focus throughout (I don't even know if I want it a small number or a big number for that!), the shutter speed gives the right exposure for everything.

Then if a building is underexposed or the sky is overexposed, I just tell photmatix to change the level of the shadows.

If the subject is moving fast I turn on the sports mode and it takes a bunch of shots and I don't worry about hitting the shutter at the exact right moment.

I'm clueless, really. But my photos get oohs and ahhs... I just don't mention that it took me 150 bad shots to get the one random good one. :D:D:D

-Dan

My boss and her husband were invited to our house for dinner - she saw some of my framed pics on the wall and said "Oh, Joe - Your photographs are so lovely..." to which my wife retorted "Well, he has got a great camera..." I was fuming...
Anyways, at the dinner table the boss congratulated my wife on the meal "You are a lovely cook..." she said. To which I retorted "Well, she has got a great oven..."
I was in the dog-house for weeks...
Jedo

My boss and her husband were invited to our house for dinner - she saw some of my framed pics on the wall and said "Oh, Joe - Your photographs are so lovely..." to which my wife retorted "Well, he has got a great camera..." I was fuming...
Anyways, at the dinner table the boss congratulated my wife on the meal "You are a lovely cook..." she said. To which I retorted "Well, she has got a great oven..."
I was in the dog-house for weeks...
Jedo

Awesome story.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back