wrong lens or broken camera

Wild Orchid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, my name is Amy and this is my first post here. I am in desperate need of some help and would appreciate all input.

I have just bought my first SLR, it's a digital Fuji FinePix S1 Pro that I got for a steal off ebay. It did not come with a lens. It does however take Nikon/Nikkor lenses and has a Nikon F mount.

I did my research as best I could to find a good but affordable lens, and I found a Tamron 70-210mm f/3.8~4 Adaptall 2 Lens that I thought would work on the camera in manual mode. I was excited to get this lens because it seems to be good for macro work, and this is what I am really interested in doing. I knew the auto stuff wouldn't work with the Fuji but I thought the manual mode would, as far as I could tell if everything was in manual the lens should still work, although I may be wrong about that. I am no expert, just getting started, so I thought maybe someone here could help. Here is the info on the lens, if any of you would like to take a look:
Tamron lens

So I got my camera, got the batteries put in, and couldn't wait to get the lens so I could try it out! I waited impatiently for about a week. I had heard you were not supposed to push the shutter without a lens on it so I didn't even try it, although I read later that the Fuji has a safeguard to protect the camera, that the shutter will not release or something to that effect.

Imagine my disappointment when I found that after I put the lens on, and it seemed to fit just fine... but the camera's shutter did not release for at least a minute when I clicked it. When it finally does release, the viewscreen on back shows as though no picture was taken. We tried this a few times, made sure it was on manual mode, tried some different settings etc... but all the same effect. My husband did try taking off the lens and clicking it... the camera does the exact same thing, whether the lens is on it or not. Just hangs up and releases about a minute later.

I asked the man I bought it from but he said he was selling it for a friend and didn't know anything about it (of course, why am I not surprised). I have tried to google and see what I could come up with, but haven't found anything helpful so far.

So my question is.... does it sound like there's something wrong with the camera, or did I just get the wrong lens? If it's the camera, does anyone know if it's a simple fix, or maybe more complex (simple cleaning or major repair)?

Thanks very, very much in advance for your help.

Amy

edited to subscribe

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
An adapt-all lens needs an adapter to fit on a particular mount. Did it actually come with the Nikon adapter or did they just put "for Nikon" in the title? I don't see one way or the other.

Hi, thanks for answering. Yes, it has the Nikon adapter and it is on the lens. The lens fits onto the camera, clicks into place, etc.

OH!!! We just fixed it!!!! It was the aperture setting!!! We had it set too slow!! HALLELUJAH :D My husband was sitting here playing with the settings and all of a sudden it started working!!! I said WHAT DID YOU DO and he showed me where the aperture had been on 30, he turned it up to 90 and it worked!!! Oh YAY I am so happy!! I'm sorry to have bothered you guys though!

Thanks!!!

the aperture had been on 30, he turned it up to 90 and it worked!!!

You sure you're not using one of these??

810trip.jpg

LOL excuse me... shutter speed.... Hey, I'm a newbie! What can I say? At least I admit it!! haha

I second that, a digicam would probably have settings 2.8-22 or so. Might want to see if that was the capture speed. :)

Edit: LOL, you beat me to it!

Anyway, congrats, and we need to see some pics when you take them!

I think you can download the manual from the fuji site for that camera, read it, it'll explain how to set it up and also explain the buttons/dials their functions etc etc. H

Amy your post made me smile. see the camera is your friend. it was trying to make a long-exposure for you. good fuji (pat on head)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back