WTB - a range of DSLRs

I have the Pentax K200D. The high ISO noise on the K200D isn't bad. It's definitely harder to find Pentax gear new in stores, but the older Pentax lenses can be found pretty easily in used camera stores and on eBay for really good prices. Any K mount stuff and even screw mount stuff will work (with an adapter) on the K200, which is awesome if you don't mind manual focus, because they're dirt cheap.

As far as the colors being "wrong," they're definitely a little saturated, but if you shoot RAW then you're all set.

The K200D is a pretty rugged camera too, so if you're used to old film cameras that are pretty much all metal, it feels pretty nice, but it's also a downside sometimes because it is heavier than some other cameras you mentioned.

One big thing to keep in mind with the K200D is that it's continuous shooting is pretty crappy. I think it's something like 2fps and the buffer can only hold 4 shots before it's full. If you shoot JPEG on continuous low speed, it will shoot 1.1fps until the card is full.

It is weather-sealed which is pretty cool for an entry level camera. I don't know if you'd want to take it out in a hurricane or a flood, but it does fine with dust and light rain/snow.

Hopefully that wasn't too long and rambling. I know a couple other people on here shoot Pentax and are a LOT more experienced than me.

Good summary, if anything the hi ISO noise on a K200D is actually pretty good (low). Other than that nice summary, certainly the best ( by a comfortable margin) built camera in it's price bracket.

Yes, concluded the D80 or EOS 450D would do fine.

Only thing is I can't buy the D80 in many places (in Australia).

I have a d60 and am very happy with it, but personally id look at a d40. Throw the money you save into some lenses.
I agree with that that go for a D40 over the the D60 they are really the same camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back