WTB Fast Canon Len's

DannyLewis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking for a faster canon len's. I shoot girl's basketball at the local school, and Native American Pow Wow's. At least a f2.8 with some distance also, I at times do football games locally. I am not a pro and my budget is not great. I do the ball games for school supplies for indigent families here on the reservation. I have one roll of silver eagles (bullion) left I can sell off or trade all or some depending on the len's vaue. Preferably with IS I havent gotten a pod to stand the cam on yet. IS would be a must. A roll is between 700 and 800 dollar's USD. I also have other coin's I could unload to pay for it. Thank's for looking and considering....Danny Lewis
And please if you have'nt been here a long time and older member's can't vouch for you there's really no point in your offering as I will have to ship first since I am new here to show my honesty. No Player's Allowed....

I don't do Canon.. but a 70-200 2.8 is a very popular range, if you are wanting a zoom. Not sure what Canon has in that range.. but shouldn't be hard to look up! What do you normally shoot with? What focal length range?

I shot the Pow Wow last night the 21st and 22nd of this month with the package len's it is a 18 55mm But it is a F4 and would grab thge light right where I was at. The indoor stadium is old and the light was a row of inca and a row of flores and a little natural light so it was a chore to get anything good from it even with the flash. I dont like using alot of flash as it inteferes with the players and powwow dancers. So I just need a quicker lens for fast light capture.....canon 70 200mm 2.8 IS is over 2 grand....so something smaller would be good. I mainly do basketball inddors where the weird lighting is at and som outdoor powwows but out doors is a snap...natural light rocksthnx

sorry about the bad spelling I have hundred's of thing's going tonight.

I shot the pow wow with my kit lens and 2 more extra lens for my canon, this was a job for me the shoot. But the kit lens were good and I had the 135mm and 75-300 zoom. They're great just turn up the shutter speed, otherwise your looking at over 2 grand for a 2.8.

Look for a Sigma or Tamron 70-200 f/2.8. Sigma has an older version you can find used that is an awesome lens, just a bit slower on the focus as it's macro. Their newer version is "OS" the eq of IS from Canon. Fast, sharp, fantastic lens.
Tamron's is the slowest focusing. I have one and I have used it for sports successfully. I much prefer my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS over it, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the tamron again for anything. I still use it quite a bit for events and weddings.

Shutter speed was 320 should have been enough..next time I will try 500..Which Pow Wow did you shoot heart's? I want to do the curcuit. Or at least make the all nation's again.

+1 for the Sigma 70-200 2.8. I own the Sigma and have nothing but excellent things to say about it. A few weeks ago, I second shot a wedding with a friend who rented the Canon 70-200 mk2 and I took around 200 shots with it. It was definitely sharper than my Sigma but no where near worth the $1500 difference. On a scale of one to ten, if the Canon is a 10, my Sigma places around a 9.2 in image quality. The only place I noticed the Canon being for sure sharper was at the corners of the frame. I couldn't see any difference in the center.

Good luck with your purchase!

---Chris

Most reactions

Back