Well, I work at a pawn shop and we just recently pulled a Nikon D40 and put it on our shelf for sale for $299. It includes an 18-55mm lens, camera strap, and battery. I don't know how much it was used before it was pawned, so I couldn't really give you an estimate on the number of shutter releases it's endured.
We are actually located in Southington, Connecticut... but a quick mapping with Google Earth shows that you're only about a two-hour drive away.
Let me know if you're interested.
I truly considered buying it myself, but the 6MP sensor is just too small for my taste... I can't be cropping images down to 3 or 4 megapixels. My D5000 spoils me with its 12MP resolution, and I think that if I got a nice shot with the D40, I would just end up cursing myself for not getting the shot with my D5000 and milking it for 6 more megapixels.
Bear in mind, the camera we have is the original D40... not the higher-res D40x.