WTB: Your cull, discard and "unsaleable" pix

birdie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My son and I have an idea for a small business that will require a lot of photos for which we must have the resale rights. We are looking for collections of photos in a wide variety of "themed" categories that we can use for our startup effort. "Themes" could be any subjects that give the group coherence -- for example birds, fish, animals, insects, landscapes, cityscapes, landmarks, sunsets, fire trucks, flowers, trees, seasonal scenes, holiday scenes, boats, cars, lighthouses, whatever you have or can think of. The photos do NOT have to be large or technically excellent -- ordinary snapshots would work just fine. We thought that the people who visit this forum might have a lot of these types of pix sitting on hard drives or on disks somewhere -- these are NOT the shots you would hope to exhibit or sell at "market" prices but the culls and throwaways. Now the important part: We can't pay much because we don't know if the business idea is sound. But if you have the kind of pictures we are seeking, and would be willing to part with them for a very low price, reply to: [email protected] and we'll discuss it further. And thanks!

well... i sent an email

What are you doing with the photos? And as a new member what makes it so we can trust you with our images?

What are you doing with the photos? And as a new member what makes it so we can trust you with our images?

I can't say what we're doing with them because we want to protect the idea for now. I will say it's "family friendly" and similar in concept to producing, say, a set of a dozen mugs, each with a different photo of a bird on it. As for trusting me.... someone e-mails me, I reply, we exchange ideas, we get to know each other a little, we decide whether we trust each other -- how else could it work?

I'm somewhat opposed to giving anything away that someone else will sell.... no matter what it is....

I think I might have to agree..

Birdie no offense but, when you get on the forum and your first post is pitching an idea to use other photographers photos, whether you buy them or not, is really sketchy. Most people who get on here just to pitch their ideas, are just spam. How do we know you are legit? We don't know you from Adam.

I think I might have to agree..

Birdie no offense but, when you get on the forum and your first post is pitching an idea to use other photographers photos, whether you buy them or not, is really sketchy. Most people who get on here just to pitch their ideas, are just spam. How do we know you are legit? We don't know you from Adam.

But I DO want to buy them. That's what the WTB in the subject line means. And it's mentioned in the post as well. Where did I suggest I would use them without buying them? And why shouldn't my first post in "The Marketplace" forum be an offer to buy something? And in what sense could I not be "legit"? I don't know you from Eve, but I will assume you're an honest person until I have evidence to the contrary. If selling your photos is something you'd prefer not to do, I have no quarrel with that, but you should have no quarrel with me asking -- I thought that's what "The Marketplace is about.

Birdie - how a buyer is to use photos will very much affect how willing people are to sell images to that person - and also for what price.
Without people knowing what you intend to do with the photos many will simply not approach you with material. Further the nature of the use also has an effect on price - single use of an image is very different to distribution rights (which is basically what your after) for an image. Further you have not made it 100% clear what sort of sale it is - do you want sole usage rights for the images or are the photographers who submit free to use the images to sell again?

Honestly people need the honesty from you in what you project is before they will commit their works and since you are a new member to this society and people do not know you they need that added confidence from you - ie the added details of use - in this thread to tell them your intentions. Without such I belive many will simply not appraoch you even to get further details

I get where you're coming from, but in all honesty - you kinda have to expect that from time to time. What other options would Birdie have? Make small talk for a month and then say "Hey, you know, I have this idea...". I think it is much more honest to state your intentions right up front.

I am kinda curious as to what she plans on doing with our "crappy" pictures, stuff we never would have even bothered processing or printing...

BTW, it seems to me (could be wrong) that most of the spam we get is not even related to photography in any way.

Birdie - how a buyer is to use photos will very much affect how willing people are to sell images to that person - and also for what price.
Without people knowing what you intend to do with the photos many will simply not approach you with material. Further the nature of the use also has an effect on price - single use of an image is very different to distribution rights (which is basically what your after) for an image. Further you have not made it 100% clear what sort of sale it is - do you want sole usage rights for the images or are the photographers who submit free to use the images to sell again?

Honestly people need the honesty from you in what you project is before they will commit their works and since you are a new member to this society and people do not know you they need that added confidence from you - ie the added details of use - in this thread to tell them your intentions. Without such I belive many will simply not appraoch you even to get further details

No disagreement with any of that. But anyone who e-mails me, and several have now, gets a reply with as much detail as I can provide at this time. I didn't want to make the OP too long, so it was just an invitation to get more information. And yes, it's frustrating for me not to be able to say exactly what our plan is but it's "fragile" and could be easily poached by people with way more resources than we have, so we'd like to get a running start. I can say it's entirely "family friendly" and would be like, though not the same as, producing a set of a dozen mugs, with a different picture of a bird on each one (hence the "theme" criterion). As for what rights we want related to the pictures, we want the right to resell the images in a commercial venture. The shooter/seller can retain those rights as well and sell the pictures to somebody else if the chance arises because that's not important to us. I hope this answers a few of your concerns.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back