WTF LIGHTROOM?!?!?!?! What the hell is this and how do I fix it?

e.rose

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.emilymcgonigle.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
If it CAN be fixed...

This ish has been pissing me off lately...

With images that are a higher ISO, I'm running into this crazy issue with the same image looking different depending on HOW I'm looking at it.

Exhibit A:

Image in Develop Mode using LR3...

(screen print)
7601478852_042c1fd9a2_o.png

Exhibit B:

Image in Library Mode, Loupe View in LR 3

(screen print)

7601479042_4f82e60dfe_o.png

Exhibit C:

Exported Jpeg:

7601478656_24748da889_c.jpg

So then I go from looking at an image in Develop mode thinking, "Holy sh*t, that is WAAAAAAAY too noisy for me to even THINK about using..." and then when I flip to loupe view (in library mode) I suddenly go, "Wait... now it's... not.. noisy? How did that happen?"

So I export it to see what it REALLY looks like and it's ... I dunno. Weird. Somewhere between the two. Which... I kind of expect since I'm exporting to a different colorspace... but WHY THE EFF is the image THAT DRASTICALLY different WITHIN lightroom between the two different modes?

I've had instances where not only was the noise level different, but the COLORING was different.

I tried updating and all that sh*t, but it just keeps doing that. I have NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO idea why or for how long it's been doing this and has gone unnoticed by me.

Anyone have ANY clue what this is?

HALP!!!

I dunno.. my LR doesn't do that, it looks exactly the same in library mode and develop mode..

try uninstalling and reinstalling LR.... i have no idea why this happens....

also try to remove any adjustments to the image (if made any)..

Did you accidentally setup a pre-filter to be applied to your images? Also, I wouldn't suggest just re-installing the software right away. I would just double check your settings first and make sure nothing was accidentally created. GL though.

Did it happen on all images or just this one?

I did not notice such issue with my older or new version of LR, but it doesn't mean it won't happen to others. Did you reboot your computer just to make sure? If you going to reinstall, make sure you backup the catalog or whatever it calls in LR so that you won't lose all the editing you made with LR in the past after the last backup.

Now come and think about it, I have not try to restore it so I really do not know where that backup is located.

Are we talking about pictures that were originally processed in an earlier version of LR and now you are viewing or processing in LR4? If so, it you are likely seeing the changes in LR’s process (algorism)
Try this;
• Open one of the pictures in question in LR4.
• Got to Developer Mode
• In the right panel, scroll all the way down to Camera Calibration
• See if “Process” is set to “2012 (Current)”
• By clicking the little arrows to the right, you can revert back to an earlier version of LR’s process (example: 2010 for LR3)

I hope this helps.

Do you have your images rendered to 1:1?

I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe, the preview you're seeing in Library/grid is just the innitial (small) preview, and when you switch to view it in Develop, it renders a larger version, and possibly updates it's interpretation of the image. Just a thought.

If that is indeed the problem, just render all the images to 1:1 before you start (or after, if you haven't done it already). This is a good idea because it speeds up your workflow, not having to render images one by one as you work on them. It does take longer if you set it for this when you import, but if it's doing them all at the same time, you don't have to babysit it.

To update the render, I think it's under (top menu) Library > Previews > Render 1:1

try uninstalling and reinstalling LR.... i have no idea why this happens....

also try to remove any adjustments to the image (if made any)..

The point is to KEEP the adjustments on the image and have it be correct in both views... so I'm not sure what undoing adjustments is going to do?

Did you accidentally setup a pre-filter to be applied to your images? Also, I wouldn't suggest just re-installing the software right away. I would just double check your settings first and make sure nothing was accidentally created. GL though.

I don't think so... but I'm not sure? How do I figure that out?

I don't think reinstalling the software is gonna help. I tried to open the same catalogue on my other computer (it's on an external drive) and it did the same thing, so either BOTH of my LR installations are screwed up, or it's not the installation.

Did it happen on all images or just this one?

I did not notice such issue with my older or new version of LR, but it doesn't mean it won't happen to others. Did you reboot your computer just to make sure? If you going to reinstall, make sure you backup the catalog or whatever it calls in LR so that you won't lose all the editing you made with LR in the past after the last backup.

Now come and think about it, I have not try to restore it so I really do not know where that backup is located.

I notice it especially on images with high ISO... I'm talking more than one here. This is the second set of images I'm working on where this is a problem. It's been an ongoing issue.

Are we talking about pictures that were originally processed in an earlier version of LR and now you are viewing or processing in LR4? If so, it you are likely seeing the changes in LR’s process (algorism)
Try this;
• Open one of the pictures in question in LR4.
• Got to Developer Mode
• In the right panel, scroll all the way down to Camera Calibration
• See if “Process” is set to “2012 (Current)”
• By clicking the little arrows to the right, you can revert back to an earlier version of LR’s process (example: 2010 for LR3)

I hope this helps.

I'm not using LR4... I'm using LR3... and the images weren't processed before my putting them into LR3

Do you have your images rendered to 1:1?

I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe, the preview you're seeing in Library/grid is just the innitial (small) preview, and when you switch to view it in Develop, it renders a larger version, and possibly updates it's interpretation of the image. Just a thought.

If that is indeed the problem, just render all the images to 1:1 before you start (or after, if you haven't done it already). This is a good idea because it speeds up your workflow, not having to render images one by one as you work on them. It does take longer if you set it for this when you import, but if it's doing them all at the same time, you don't have to babysit it.

To update the render, I think it's under (top menu) Library > Previews > Render 1:1

I don't know if the images were already rendered to 1:1... but I just tried what you said, just in case to see if it would help and nothing changed. I still have the same issue.

I'm so frustrated!!!!!! :(

Most reactions

Back