WTH is wrong with my camera timer photos!?

jadelm31

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.picturesquebyerica.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am so frustrated and yet because I almost never am in a photo this doesn't necessarily effect me that much but, it would be nice to know the deal. I have a Nikon7000 and whenever I have mounted it to my tripod, arranged for the timer to fire the shot, NO MATTER WHAT setting I am on....it is out of focus. (not even slightly...totally blurred) I never shoot auto anything but I have tried literally every setting. I have closed down my aperture A lot and shot in A- mode, S mode...I have chosen my focus point and allowed the camera too. I have tried everything. I don't understand what is wrong here. LOL..again, I don't take self portraits often but just for knowing's sake I would love to know what it up.

But......... does the camera actually focus?

You may have it set up to take the shot regardless of focus confirmation.

Guessing the issue is that the camera focuses (and determines exposure) when the timer starts... not when the timer finishes and the shutter trips. So if you plan to go stand in front of the camera, it will instead be previously focused on the background instead.

My notions about the cause is that the camera locks focus and exposure on shutter half press, which is done to start the timer. Then the timer just does the final press.

It is no problem if the scene does not change. Or, a wireless remote shutter release can bypass this issue. (no timer).

Last edited:
The camera releases the shutter as if it has focused. I have my settings so that by shutter will not release unless focus is achieved. Strange right? Any suggestions? I even tried auto where it is set to recognize faces, thinking that it will sense the change and see the "face" in the scene and acquire "new" focus point.

Can you post a link to an unedited JPEG?

Not strange at all. Try pre-focusing the camera and then tripping the timer. Once the timer is set the camera isn't trying to focus, it's just counting down and snapping the shutter. The camera doesn't wait until it's ready to take the picture to focus, it focuses when you activate the shutter button to start the timer, as Wayne pointed out.
Set the lens to manual focus. Prefocus on the area where you'll be standing.

I have my settings so that by shutter will not release unless focus is achieved.

It does not matter if using the self timer. The self timer locks focus and exposure at first shutter button press, when timer is started. It does NOT change anything when the timer expires and the shutter opens.

Try some very simple test so you will believe it. Like aim the camera at a bright computer screen at two feet. Let A mode set it up, like f/3.5 at 1/80 second, at two feet, whatever. Press shutter for self timer at ten seconds. During the ten seconds, re-aim the camera at the TV set at say 8 feet (and much more dim probably). When the timer trips the shutter, you will have a very out of focus and dark picture of the TV screen (because it was not f/3.5 1/80 second at 2 feet).

The self timer locks focus and exposure when you first press the shutter to start the timer.

Exactly what wayne said.

Use manual focus..........

Could also be a cheap tripod and it's moving?

i think it's the above suggestions though

Well, first, don't take S- Mode Seriously. That is where your configuration got off hand to begin with.

Well, first, don't take S- Mode Seriously. That is where your configuration got off hand to begin with.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

You need to pre focus on the subject then take the shot. Prefocus as if ur shooting normally by half pressing the shutter if using auto focus then let go of the shutter, switch your camera to manual focus, switch your lens to manual focus and the focus should be spot on now when u fire.

Most reactions

Back