WTT: Olympus XA for Bessa 66

dxqcanada

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I think the title should have been reversed ...

So I have a Bessa 66 that I have been restoring.
For those of you that do not know this camera it is a Medium Format 120 6x6 folding camera made by Voigtlander. It is smaller than most SLR bodies, so it makes a nice street/walk around MF camera.

Size comparison only (this is not mine): http://www.flickr.com/photos/nesster/1229937529/in/photostream/

I believe it is a 1938 model with the built in viewfinder (not folding), and Skopar lens.

I am looking for an Olympus XA (not 1,2, or 3 ... though I may consider the 4).

Bessa 66 (Klein/Baby Bessa 1938) Deluxe

Compur shutter: T,B,1-300. I suspect that this is a Skopar (Tessar) 75mm f/3.5 lens as the rear lens ring has a serial number printed on it.
The hinged filter is missing (typical of these old Bessa's) and the front lens description ring.

I cleaned this up as best as I could. This camera appears to have been serviced before.
I have not had time to run a roll of film through it.

The camera has some tarnishing, slight rust, and some wear on the leather. The front V disk is missing so I replaced it with a circular piece of leatherette.
The focus ring is tight so it is stiffer to turn than expected (for those of you that have used these types of cameras).
Aperture is working and looks good. The aperture lever is missing, but the aperture can still be set using the position marker.
Shutter blades look good, speeds sound good, even the slow speeds. The T setting is not working so it acts like Bulb.
The springs in the film door mechanism do not work, but door can still be locked.
Depth of field disc is missing.
Counter advance and shutter advance release mechanisms are working.
Bellows are in great shape. I cannot see any light leakage.

Last edited:
dxqcanada said:
I think the title should have been reversed ...

So I have a Bessa 66 that I have been restoring.
For those of you that do not know this camera it is a Medium Format 120 6x6 folding camera made by Voigtlander. It is smaller than most SLR bodies, so it makes a nice street/walk around MF camera.

Size comparison only (this is not mine): http://www.flickr.com/photos/nesster/1229937529/in/photostream/

I believe it is a 1938 model with the built in viewfinder (not folding), and Skopar lens.

I am looking for an Olympus XA (not 1,2, or 3 ... though I may consider the 4).

Bessa 66 (Klein/Baby Bessa 1938) Deluxe

Compur shutter: T,B,1-300. I suspect that this is a Skopar (Tessar) 75mm f/3.5 lens as the rear lens ring has a serial number printed on it.
The hinged filter is missing (typical of these old Bessa's) and the front lens description ring.

I cleaned this up as best as I could. This camera appears to have been serviced before.
I have not had time to run a roll of film through it.

The camera has some tarnishing, slight rust, and some wear on the leather. The front V disk is missing so I replaced it with a circular piece of leatherette.
The focus ring is tight so it is stiffer to turn than expected (for those of you that have used these types of cameras).
Aperture is working and looks good. The aperture lever is missing, but the aperture can still be set using the position marker.
Shutter blades look good, speeds sound good, even the slow speeds. The T setting is not working so it acts like Bulb.
The springs in the film door mechanism do not work, but door can still be locked.
Depth of field disc is missing.
Counter advance and shutter advance release mechanisms are working.
Bellows are in great shape. I cannot see any light leakage.

Do you still have the Bessa to trade for my XA???

Ah, too late ... just picked up an Olympus XA last week.

I still have the Bessa ... what else you got ?

FYI: I fixed the aperture ... it was sticking a little at f/8 ... and also got the T shutter working ... Ronsonol, never leave home without it.

Hmmm...Canon Rebel XS 35mm film SLR in black with Sigma 70-200mm f/4 constant aperture AF lens both excellent + shape; Nikon SB-20 or SB-16 flash; mostly Nikon F-mount lenses; near-Mint Argus C-3 1958 model in original leather everready case, perhaps THE CLEANEST C-3 you will ever see, except for some hazing in the rangefinder. Clear, bright viewfinder, superb lens, NO cleaning marks, top deck and bottom plate immaculate, leather case looks great,with a supple, clean strap, and perfect stitching top and bottom...I mean this is the absolute cleanest, most-pristine, all-original Argus C-3 Colormatic you will ever see, from an estate sale, been in storage for "over 30 years" the guy said....looks it too! I have never seen a C3 Colormatic of this quality. Ever. Slow speed of 1/10 second is working superbly...the case has the original Colormatic settings cheat sheet in the lid in perfect condition. PM me if anything sounds interesting. I might also have something else you might like...

I wish I saw this earlier, lol. Actually, I don't know if I could really part with my XA... Maybe if I had more than one.

Hmm... None of the Minolta stuff I still have is worth anything... I think all I have left is a couple kit lenses and a body that you can't change any settings on. It basically only has the 'creative modes'. Doesn't even have aperture priority. QTsi, I think...? Something like that.

sad face...alas...nothing in the Minolta realm...I recall BADLY,BADLy wanting a Minolta SRT-101, for $149.95 back in the summer of 1975 I guess it was...I was 12 years old, and that was a lot of money back then for a kid...I used to go to Payless Drugs on the weekend and lust after it, and the 102 model as well...

... OK, let me think what else I would like ...

Minolta Autopole
Bay 1 colour filters
Tripod with ball head
Parts for Durst Laborator 138S enlarger
32/64GB SDHC cards
Dome / disc for Sekonic L-318/328
Sigma AF 1.4x teleconverter minolta-A mount
Kodak HIE film

Most reactions

Back