ww.lenshoods.co.uk

i have several times. what do you mean by gimmic? you print them out, cut them out, and stick them together. they provide absolutely no protection but if you want to avoid solar flares and dont want to spend money on a lens hood they're perfect. iv'e used them when waiting for a lens hood to be delivered and as long as you're careful they're a good TEMPORARY solution. however with expensive glass i would always spend a few extra bucks to give it some worthy protection (even if it wont help with flares).

a gimmic is sort of like something that is sold or whatever but doesnt realy do a proper job, like a fad....dont u use the word gimmic in the USA?

Spellcheck People.... please

gim⋅mick   /ˈgɪm
thinsp.png
ɪk
/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [gim-ik] Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun
1.an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, esp. one designed to attract attention or increase appeal.
2.a concealed, usually devious aspect or feature of something, as a plan or deal: An offer that good must have a gimmick in it somewhere.
3.a hidden mechanical device by which a magician works a trick or a gambler controls a game of chance.
4.Electronics Informal. a capacitor formed by intertwining two insulated wires.–verb (used with object)
5.to equip or embellish with unnecessary features, esp. in order to increase salability, acceptance, etc. (often fol. by up): to gimmick up a sports car with chrome and racing stripes. –verb (used without object)
6.to resort to gimmickry, esp. habitually.

If they're not charging, it's not really a gimmick, and the definition of gimmick actually defined as:

1. A device employed to cheat, deceive, or trick, especially a mechanism for the secret and dishonest control of gambling apparatus.
  2. An innovative or unusual mechanical contrivance; a gadget.<LI type=a>An innovative stratagem or scheme employed especially to promote a project: [SIZE=+0]an advertising gimmick.[/SIZE]
  3. A significant feature that is obscured, misrepresented, or not readily evident; a catch.
  4. A small object whose name does not come readily to mind.
But if they're lens hood patterns, then I'd consider them as a cheap DIY alternative...well, some what, I'd still want a lens hood.

Most reactions

Back